clays in soap

elitenaildesign

I used some bentonite in soap to make it a shaving soap. Don't recall how much I used (some here told me how much to try, so I'm sure the thread is nearby!). I like the way the lather feels with it - nice and thick and silky. Supposed to make it slicker for shaving.

Other clays can be used for coloring I think, and some to help combat oily skin perhaps - I'm trying to remember what I've seen.

Hmmmm- maybe for that MP/kitchen sink swap....

Yes! Clays can be used in soap for coloring. Clays can be used in soap to give more glide/slip (as in shaving soap, mentioned above). Some folks use it for skin-care benefits (clay can be drawing).

Certain clays dry me out in high amounts, but others I'm fine with. Various clays I've used in soap: bentonite, kaolin, Australian red/pink/black/olive/washed blue, Dead Sea. There's also argiletz and a few others I haven't tried. hth

Edited to add: I incorporate clay by smooshing it into a tiny dab of glycerin before adding to my soap batter. Otherwise, you can get some dry specks of undissolved stuff in your final soap. Sometimes, I actually TRY for that effect. But usually I want the soap to be smooth so I smoosh with a rubber spatula into the batter or into some glycerin if I'm using the clay for a colored swirl. Sometimes I just sb the clay into the soap batter. heh heh