Wax melt/tart question

jamie

When making tarts, what is the difference in using a soft container wax, compared to a firmer votive wax ? I've been reading up on tarts, and some do use their candle wax, but some also add beeswax or stearic to make a harder wax. Does the firmer wax hold the FO longer when warmed ? or just because it's easier to get out of molds?

Jamie

I mix 50/50 containter was and parafin. The container wax has a better scent though, but the parafin makes it easy to remove from the molds, and from the tart burner. Plus, they do not feel as sticky as they would if you just use straight container wax.

I use both waxes - just depends on which one I am working with. When I make either pillars or containers I always pour my left over wax into tart molds and use them for the repour and then what is left is what is put in jars for my tarts. I use the quart - Golden Harvest I think - jars to store my tarts in. That way when customers want to smell , it makes it real easy for them to sniff!!:)

I use votive wax for one reason. After the tart has lost scent in the warmer/burner it will pop out of the bowl once solid. My container wax required digging or putting in the freezer before it would come out. It's a convenience issue for me :grin2: