Other Candle Making Boards

I think it is OK to ask this question here. I am always looking to read more and more information. I like this board as it seems to be the most active one and well laid out one that I have found. I am familiar with only two others that seem to get some activity though not as much as this one.

It is the Candle Cauldren and Scent Review. Are there any others that I don't know about that get activity.

I like the fact that you can ask questions on this board about other suppliers, locations and opinions. This is restricted on some boards as they are sponsored by a candle supply company (and they don't want any competition) which I guess is understandable.

I'm with a list that originates in Australia, excellent info & recipes etc, etc., but when it comes to sources and supplies, which are such a BIG part of candle & soap-making, you could only names those that were approved by the list. That meant a couple in Australia & NZ, 1 in US and none in Canada. Get serious, who can afford to order cocnut oil from Australia? Might as well wrap your soap in gold & have done with it. Anyway, I'm very impressed with this board, with tons of soap and candle info, both of which interest me. I was sick over Christmas, and spent 2 days in bed with my laptop reading old entries, and had a number of questions aswered just by looking around.

Now if you would only get going on knitting and spinning, it would be perfect!

Doris

I'm with a list that originates in Australia, excellent info & recipes etc, etc., but when it comes to sources and supplies, which are such a BIG part of candle & soap-making, you could only names those that were approved by the list. That meant a couple in Australia & NZ, 1 in US and none in Canada. Get serious, who can afford to order cocnut oil from Australia? Might as well wrap your soap in gold & have done with it. Anyway, I'm very impressed with this board, with tons of soap and candle info, both of which interest me. I was sick over Christmas, and spent 2 days in bed with my laptop reading old entries, and had a number of questions aswered just by looking around.

Now if you would only get going on knitting and spinning, it would be perfect!

Doris

Ask something in off topic & you'll be surprised at the answers you get.

There's a lot of very talented people on here & there may well be someone who can help you with your knitting & spinning too.

Sally.

Hmmm..........I saw nothing in the TOS about mentioning competitors boards or anything. It also seems that Peak's is not the only sponsor of this site. What I like about Candletech is the open communication and various skill levels of everyone posting. The free exchange of ideas & information is what makes this site great. :cool2:

I have looked thru everything and all I have seen is that this board is privately owned. If it is owned by Peaks.......shouldn't there be a disclosure? I just assumed that alot of the companies advertised here were sponsers or paid for advertising here.

I just found out this board is owned by Peaks - which stuns me, but I know that is basically irrelevant. For example, they sell FOs but we have had soap swaps featuring Solas (going on now) and Scent Works and those have raised no eyebrows. We are free to discuss our experiences with other vendors and we do love other vendors.

As for how this place is paid for, I believe it is basically self-sufficient! That's why we have advertisers.

There was a big change after the board crashed. I think that's when Alan handed the reins to Sara.

I'm sure Sara can give more detailed and accurate information.

Carebear, on the old board, co-ops from other suppliers were not allowed if they directly competed with Peak. It was only after the board changed over was that allowed.

Carebear, on the old board, co-ops from other suppliers were not allowed if they directly competed with Peak. It was only after the board changed over was that allowed.

Wow, that is a big change and I'm glad it was made - the level of sharing and expertise is enormous and I imagine it has grown from allowing those in. But I do lean toward Peak anyway though I'm not sure how that started LOL (I loooooove their FOs). It takes a good company to allow that, and one that stands behind their customers with confidence.

Things changed as the forum evolved with Alan focusing more on his supply business but Peak/Alan still helps to support the forum. And it is "open" for discussions/co-ops, etc. on whatever supplier you choose.

Generally links to other forums aren't allowed. Pretty basic rule you'll find on many forums. Obviously they are mentioned from time to time, though.

This is a great board...Peak Candle Supply (Alan & Nachelle), mods and admin., thanks for doing this.

I was just thinking how much I would miss the board if you guys ever gave it up. Like say....if you got tired of all the bickering that goes on sometimes....

:whistle: