Vybar vs stearic acid

New to candle making I have to date only used paraffin wax and stearic at 10%. I understand that both help dye retention and make the candle opaque. I am also aware of the restriction on rubber moulds.

I have seen a mention on vybar that states that it helps to enhance the scent. Would scent throw (see I'm learning the jargon :grin2: )be improved if I switched to vybar or is there no difference in this respect.

Ian

Here is some info on different Vybar's http://www.bakerhughes.com/bakerpetrolite/polymers/vybar/candle_industry_featuresbenefits.htm

Stearic Acid

Additive for molded candles. Increases firmness, improves burning quality, and aids mold release.

Palm Stearic Acid will help increase the fragrance load in soy and paraffin waxes and will help you achieve a smooth, even finish to your candles.

Stearic acid, sometimes referred to as stearin, is a non-toxic additive that increases the opacity and hardness of candles. It will also brighten colors in dyed candles. Candles will burn longer and have an improved surface when stearic acid is used.

vybar helps to bind the scent in the wax but it does other things too. You use very little of it, because it will also lock up the scent in the wax too. There are three different kinds:

Vybar 103 -- basically used for pillars (though it's actual use is really more for waxes above 130 mp)

Vybar 260 -- basically used for containers (and I've seen it applied to votives, used for waxes with a mp below 130)

Vybar 363 (available at Candlewic) -- basically used when you want the mottling to still be there (too much will still kill the mottle though.)

Thanks both for your replies.

Bare in mind that in the UK we don't have the range of candle making options that you lucky people do in the States. As far as I can see there are no options on the type of vybar available here. It's just sold as vybar. On of the suppliers I use quoted a MP of 59-61c (140f), so I assume it's 103 type on offer. This grade does look to be the most useful anyway.

Initially I feel that there is no point in changing to vybar. It is marginally cheaper due to the lower usage, but that's the only key difference that I can perceive currently.

Ian

Initially I feel that there is no point in changing to vybar. It is marginally cheaper due to the lower usage, but that's the only key difference that I can perceive currently.

Vybar allows for higher scent levels and/or less fragrance bleed than stearic. It can be used in place of stearic or in combination with it to adjust the burn characteristics. I'd recommend testing to determine whether you can use it to enhance product quality.

Thanks for that. Yes I think testing is the way to go. I'll put an order in for vybar when I need more supplies.

Interesting that you can use both at the same time. If you use both can you still put 10% stearin AND up to 3% vybar in the same melt?

There's a lot of trial and error type testing in this hobby isn't there? Test waxes,wicks,fragrance etc.etc. Will I ever get it right?:D

Ian

Just fooling around yesterday with this new mottling wax with a mp of 145 and using my usual amount of stearic which is 3% .......I decided to just see what would happen to the wax by adding (not very scientific measures) a scant 1/2 tsp vybar 103 and a scant 1/2 tsp gloss poly C 15 to 5 lbs of wax........lo and behold....I got a great random mottle and very shiny surface and no wet spots. I wasn't trying for anything.....just wanted to see what would happen. I don't like a complete mottle ....some people do. This is the wax from Genwax that I am trying to use up. I just found a place in Reno (Thanks Alex) where I can pick up wax. Karan was very nice and helpful. That is going to save big $$$$$$$$$ :yay: Donita

PS.....I don't usually use a lot of vybar 103 unless I want a creamy looking candle. Usually I go for the brillant gem tones. Then to my usual 3% stearic I will add about 1/2 tsp pp of vybar 103.

Thanks for the encouragement scented. I've only been playing for a few days so a long way to go. I have made progress. Shape and consistancy are good, matching wicks is my biggest problem. But I'll play around and if I don't sort it. I know where to ask advice..............From you lovely,helpful people.

On the stearin side I think my next step is to reduce the amount from 10% to 5% and test the differences.

Ian

Interesting that you can use both at the same time. If you use both can you still put 10% stearin AND up to 3% vybar in the same melt?

3% Vybar is excessive unless maybe it's Vybar 260 in a low MP wax. Try asking the supplier which type they're carrying. Vybar 103 is the one you need and the manufacturer recommends up to 1%. Some people say up to 2%.

There's no problem using both additives at once, but the Vybar will opacify and firm up the wax on its own. The purpose of the stearin in that case might just be to change the burning characteristics. The more control you have over that beyond just wick selection, the better.

If you don't mind expending some resources in the spirit of learning and optimizing your candles, you can perhaps make 6 small testers.

0.5% Vybar, 0% stearic

0.5% Vybar, 5% stearic

0.5% Vybar, 10% stearic

1% Vybar, 0% stearic

1% Vybar, 5% stearic

1% Vybar, 10% stearic

See how they look and burn and smell. Choose the best or fine-tune the amounts as you see fit.

Rest assured I'll be playin' around with the options.

Here is the info from the UK supplier I use. Vybar "can be added to paraffin wax up to 3% in rubber moulds - acts as a hardening agent and toughens a candle - can help scent throw. Can be used in rubber moulds in place of stearin. Beaded format - MP 59-61 °C"

Just to add to my confusion they offer what they call Microwax "Beaded format - Hard microcrystalline wax - add no more than 2-3% - MP 68-72 °C. Helps strengthen candle, increase burn time and reduce dripping. Melt carefully on direct heat then add to double boiler with paraffin wax "

Ian

Unfortunately suppliers often get things wrong. Neither Vybar 103 nor 260 is recommended for use at 3%. That gets you into dimishing returns and possible problems.

The melt point of the material appears to be closer to Vybar 260. See if the supplier can clarify that for you.

It's a world of different candlemaking materials out there. Microcrystalline waxes are a special type of paraffin. They come in many flavors with widely varying properties and are variously used in blending or as additives. They can be useful, but you probably don't need to take on everything at once.

Just fooling around yesterday with this new mottling wax with a mp of 145 and using my usual amount of stearic which is 3% .......I decided to just see what would happen to the wax by adding (not very scientific measures) a scant 1/2 tsp vybar 103 and a scant 1/2 tsp gloss poly C 15 to 5 lbs of wax........lo and behold....I got a great random mottle and very shiny surface and no wet spots.

It's the gloss poly C15. It totally changes the dynamics of the mottle. It tends to force snowflake mottles in my experiments with 1343 and 4045 waxes.