Lye question

diamondk

I bought 3---50 pound bags this past late summer and am storing them in my soap shop in 5 gallon HDPE buckets with the seal locking lids. I store then off the concrete floor on 2"X4's under a contractor grade plastic trash can liner over each bucket tied up with a HD twist tie. I paid .50 cents per pound for the sodium hydroxide in the bulk. I found mine at a chemical pool supply place. Some older pools used the sodium hydroxide in their filtration system, somehow. Down here in FL there are a lot of chemical suppliers that sell stuff like this. The business was supplying at least 5 or 6 of us Soapiers here in Cent. FL, but I hear sold out a month ago or so I hear. I'm glad I bought this much at once!

Another online supplier is Camden-Grey in Miami, or The Chemistry Store in the Carolinas. They sell 2 pound plastic jars of it, and perhaps more. Anything I think over 32 ounces, you have to pay a Haz-Mat fee to ship it to you.

HTH!

Paul....

I get mine at alabastard, or if I'm not in the mood to drive 1.5 hours, I get it locally at a janitorial supply. http://www.aaa-chemicals.com/sodium-hydroxide.html has a decent price on 10lbs of food grade lye. I got my KOH from them. Nice guy, fast shipping. I like.

DON'T order lye from the summerbee meadow dude, he's a nutcase. Straight up.