Would You Try This?

Hibiscus

In days gone by, pharmacists frequently made medicinal liquid soap, which was employed in many preparations, including a very widely used disinfectant called saponified cresol solution.

I have taken the small recipe below from the USP XIII, and deleted the portions dealing with adding cresol. This recipe is great because it never fails (persistent phase separation, never achieving trace).

IT USES NO WATER! Instead, the potassium hydroxide is dissolved in hot glycerin, which is the lye solution added to the oil. You never have phase separation, as glycerin, unlike water, is soluble in warm oil. Trace is achieved, literally, in a couple of minutes.

Here is the recipe:

Linseed oil 87.5 ml

Glycerin 25.0 ml

Potassium hydroxide 18.3 g

Distilled water 240.0 ml

Warm linseed oil to not over 170° F. Completely dissolve potassium hydroxide in hot glycerin, and immediately add the hot solution to the warm oil with stirring. With continued warming, stir the mixture, which will thicken and trace in minutes, and then go through several stages until, when cool, it forms a very stiff, taffy-like mass which is semi-clear and honey-colored. Test for saponification completion by dissolvng a small portion of the soap mass in twice or three times its volume of hot distilled water, and look for a clear solution to form. If oil globules or cloudiness is present, continue warming and stirring, and test again. Add boiling water to the soap mass, and stir until a clear solution is obtained (usually takes overnight).

After a day or two of sequestration, this linseed oil soap barely has any odor. Importantly, no lye excess is needed in this process, as the saponification proceeds much more efficiently in the absence of water. As a consequence, no neutralization is required.

Robert L. Nelson, MD

c.iconI found this at about.com on the LS soap forum. In a reply to the guide, David. It was said that this oil can be subbed with others. I'm thinking that the recipe on about can be modified to fit this method. What do you think? I am willing to try it because I can't help myself..LOL anybody out there wanna play mad scientist with me?:waiting: c.icon

That's an oil I've never used but there has been some talk about it on these boards. Anyone with more info can chime in at any time..LOL. You don't have to use Linseed oil, it was used for it's cleansing and low lathering properties. I will find the rest of the discussion and post it shortly.:grin2: ....Ok, the answer below explains only one reason for the linseed oil.

I think you can use any oil. In fact, the USP mentions "vegetable oil" including olive, soy, cottonseed, but it specifically says to avoid palm and coconut. I believe the latter two would saponify just fine, but may make too many suds for the medical uses intended. The linseed oil soap in the recipe is a very low-sudsing soap, although I don't know anything that cleans your hands better.

Bob

The specific gravity of linseed oil is 0.93 g/ml. Therefore, 87.5 ml of linseed oil would weigh 81.4 grams. If you choose another oil, just adjust the KOH with a lye calculator with no lye excess.

I use boiled linseed oil, Ace Hardware brand. It takes awhile for the KOH to dissolve in the glycerin. Give it a few minutes, and if it won't all dissolve, microwave the mixture in a Pyrex cup and stir with a stainless spoon. If it still has undissolved white flecks, it means your KOH has some potassium carbonate in it. Let it cool a bit, and add some water (few drops).

I didn't put it in my initial post, but after diluting the soap, I add one fluid ounce of orange extract and one fluid ounce of cinnamon extract (McCormick foods, cheap at grocers) per 16 fluid ounces of diluted soap. The alcohol in the extracts clarifies the soap and prevents curding on exposure to air.. You smell just a hint of orange when you wash your hands, and after drying them there's a hint of cinnamon left.

If you taste a drop of this soap, there's no alkali bite at all. Yet it cleans your hands better than even concentrated detergents like Mr. Clean.

This is a golden-yellow, amber or brown drying oil expeller pressed from the seeds of the flax plant. Uses include core oils, soap, shaving creams and pharmaceuticals.

One of the few oils with a high content of a-linolenic acid similar to the omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, Flaxseed (Linseed) oil is used as an emollient, anti-inflammatory and healing agent. It is well-known to create smooth, soft skin, as well as alleviate skin conditions due to a dietary lack of omega-3.

High in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids, Flaxseed (Linseed) Oil has a rich yellow color and butter-like aroma. It is most commonly used as a carrier oil for essential oils, massage lotions and other skin moisturizers. Linseed Oil will also help prevent scars and stretch marks. I've been taking this oil for quite some time..LOL...freakin aliens I tell ya..LOL..still gotta try this method...and this oil in soap..but i guess no one is game...:shocked2:

I have seen that before. Very interesting reading. When I get more time, I might be game...LOL

great! maybe we can work on it together..you're a mad scientist at heart:grin2: . That recipe is tiny and we would have to change the oils to work out the lathering issue. The guide from about is working out a formula that he will publish on the site eventually...we might be able to beat him to it.

I wouldn't mind trying this also, I also have to get some Potassium hydroxide first, but It sounds interesting. I haven't done liquid soap before, do you think it's too much for a first timer? I've been wanting to try Liquid soap for a while, the time it takes to make a batch is what has stopped me. I've heard it takes a long time.

This sounds easier to me but since I've never done it this way, i suggest that you go with the tried and true for your first batch. LS may take some getting used to but the larger the batch the shorter the time is for me. Remember the newbie CP soap challenge? There aught to be a newbie LS challenge:grin2: