Wth?

Those used to be popular many years ago (the testing photo below is from the 1970s or maybe a little earlier).

It's regular paraffin. If you use just the right wax and just the right wick and burn it the right way, you have a foliating or "angel wings" candle. I think I noticed they're using oval molds to help get the effect they want.

post-710-139458418328_thumb.jpg

if someone wants to try.. the candle is poured with a normal MP paraffin, the inserts are a low MP paraffin.

http://www.candlecraft.info/Making_candles/Danish_blossom_candles/danish_blossom_candles.html

Personally I think that they are ugly things. Also the ugliness is matched by the poor quality of the link candle. After only 3 weeks of melting wax that candle would have to be a reject for me.

Ian

I def. think it's an interesting concept. Thanks for the link cybersix. I never saw a candle like that, I think it would be a fun experiment!

The more I look at the pics the more I'm not sure the candles you posted are made the same way as in the link I found... :confused:

Who knows!

If you decide to give it a go please post the results!!

The more I look at the pics the more I'm not sure the candles you posted are made the same way as in the link I found... :confused:

Who knows!

If you decide to give it a go please post the results!!

sure will!

ETA: Hmmm now that I look at the link you posted, it might not be. The link says it takes 60hrs of burn time before it looks like that. The link Top and I posted did it right away.

sure will!

ETA: Hmmm now that I look at the link you posted, it might not be. The link says it takes 60hrs of burn time before it looks like that. The link Top and I posted did it right away.

Not exactly, this is copied from the site you linked:

Burning process: After 10 to 20 hours of burning the rim of the candle starts opening up. If the flame was burning straight up, the rim should be oval and symmetrical. Later the rim will split into two parts and after 40 to 50 hours full "blossom" should form. If the flame burned severely tilted to one side, the rim will "fold" to the opposite side of the candle and form a single flow shape.

The technique in that link is a cheat. Traditionally these are plain simple candles that can be manufactured in quantity without any complicated production techniques. Originally some candles just did it by themselves, so people designed them to do it intentionally. You just have to get the wax and wick and candle diameter right. I have an old book that has some tips on it, but haven't had time to work on it.

Top's right that these can be made very simply. I've made some with 1343 and they will foliate nicely if handled right. Here's a pic of how you would start the foliating...get a FMP then pinch in a couple places and let the candle burn a long time. You do have to keep an eye on them so that blow out doesn't happen. I've gotten the best foliating from 2" candles - the taller the better.

post-450-139458418742_thumb.jpg

Not exactly, this is copied from the site you linked:

Burning process: After 10 to 20 hours of burning the rim of the candle starts opening up. If the flame was burning straight up, the rim should be oval and symmetrical. Later the rim will split into two parts and after 40 to 50 hours full "blossom" should form. If the flame burned severely tilted to one side, the rim will "fold" to the opposite side of the candle and form a single flow shape.

hehe I saw that one after posting!

Pam thanks for letting me know what wax you've tried. I have 1343 that I want to use up, so I think it'll be fun to try this. What wick did you use, if you don't mind? Tabbed, square or flat?

Top, are you going to be trying these anytime soon?

Growing up, I thought ALL candles were supposed to do that! My mother taught me how to gently work the sides open as they softened up. The goal was to get the curl as long as possible without breaking it off :laugh2:

It may not be proper, but I still love the look :grin2:

hehe I saw that one after posting!

Pam thanks for letting me know what wax you've tried. I have 1343 that I want to use up, so I think it'll be fun to try this. What wick did you use, if you don't mind? Tabbed, square or flat?

I was hoping no one would ask that cause I don't remember for sure!!!! For the 2" candles I normally use 70C (cotton wick from Peaks) so that's probably what I used. For a 2 1/2", I use either the 70 or 75C depending on FO.

The first time I saw foliating, it was on a store bought pillar and I was amazed.(quality candle from local candle factory) When the candle got down to the last 3", it was absolutely beautiful---the 'lips' took on the look of flower petals....you aren't limited to just two lips - go for 3 or 4 -- each candle will look different. I love watching the candles take shape.

The 1343 doesn't have the same transparant look but you might achieve that by adding some Translucent crystals(??) I read (somewhere?) that there is a foliating wax that you can buy to make this easier but I don't know where you'd get it. If you do a search for foliating, you might be able to pull up a thread from many months ago on this same subject.

If you use a FB or other wick that curls, make your first pinch on the side where that curl is pointing..make sense?? You will end up with lots of left over wax but just remelt, refresh FO & use for tarts.

Have fun and let's see a pic.

Found the thread from last year http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5148&highlight=foliate The store bought candle I had did the foliating without any help but the ones I made, needed a little encouragement....or maybe I was just impatient!!