Tried a saltbar again

elitenaildesign

Hey Jennie...

I use my Misty Creek Mold for my salt bars....Once I get my mix poured into my mold .....I put it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes....then I take it out and use my big cutter and cut it.....I puit it back in the oven for another 30 minutes or so and then take it out and run my cutter thru it again..just to make sure I will be able to cut it. I hope this makes sense and helps...

Did you get a Misty Creek mold ordered??

Kris

With salt barsyou use a very high percentage of coconut oil since the salt won't affect the lathering properties of the CO. A favorite salt bar recipe is 75% CO and 25% shea. You add to the oils and butters the same amount in salt. So if you have 3 lbs of oils and butters, you put in 3lbs of salt. You can't use epsom salt in these bars though. Salt bars make your skin feel so smooth and not dry at all. You'd think the salts would be rough, but they really aren't.

Salt bars set up very quickly and are ready to mold within hours of making the batch.

I'm going to make a batch today using 24oz coconut, 4oz babassu and 4oz of shea. I'll use sea salt and uniodized table salt. I'm going to fragrance it with Shaw Mudge Ocean. Hey Lorrie, if they turn out, I'll send you one with your swap box.

Carrie, let me know how it turns out. I thought about trying babassu in my next batch but was a little aprehensive since I'm not sure if the salt will affect the babassu's lathering properties. I liked my last batch I made, but I'm not really happy with the lathering ability of it. I want more lather - just not sure if that is possible.

I decided to try the babassu because of the lathering but also because it's other properties. I have no idea how it'll turn out, I'll send you a bar also. Let me know what you think of the lather/bubbles compared to no babassu.

Off to make soap, I'll update in a few hours.

Salt bars are not really going to lather much or have big bubbles. They are really more like a lotion type bar. I use a nylon pouf with mine to help with the lather.

You can use table salt, fine or medium sea salt, Kosher salt from the supermarket works great too.

I make mine either in my Kelsei mold or my Tony's half-rounds.

I'm going to make a batch today using 24oz coconut, 4oz babassu and 4oz of shea. I'll use sea salt and uniodized table salt. I'm going to fragrance it with Shaw Mudge Ocean. Hey Lorrie, if they turn out, I'll send you one with your swap box.

Thank you!!! At least let me pay ya for it.

Since mine basically seized up on me, the rest that I didnt have time to put into ind. molds went into a reg. mold andof coarse I forgot about it. Well, I told my son he could use it for target practice next year for hunting. It is the hardest substance I have ever had my hands on. Pretty sure it would go thru a brick building. i think I am officially giving up on salt bars. I just suck at them.

My salt bars lather like crazy!!

Mine do, too, and I don't even need a pouf to encourage things along. It gets beautiful, big bubblage all on its own. I believe it really all depends upon the oils one chooses to make them with. I use 100% coconut oil, so that's probably why mine bubble up so nicely and effortlessly.

MarieJeanette

Since mine basically seized up on me, the rest that I didnt have time to put into ind. molds went into a reg. mold andof coarse I forgot about it. Well, I told my son he could use it for target practice next year for hunting. It is the hardest substance I have ever had my hands on. Pretty sure it would go thru a brick building. i think I am officially giving up on salt bars. I just suck at them.

That was how my first batch came out but my second was better. Don't give up. You can succeed at this.

Well, I just unmolded my first salt bars. I don't really care for the Shaw Mudge Ocean scent. It is floraly, to my nose. Not oceany at all.

I soaped kinda hot and used my 9 bar kelsei. I put the soap in a preheated oven at 170* then turned the heat off. It sat there for about 10 hours. It is hard but not rock hard. I can kinda cut it, it will cut a little, then break. The bars are massive because I used 2lb of oils and 2lb of salt in my 9 bar mold...LOL The bars came right out of the mold which suprised me. Nothing slides out of that mold that easily.

Lorrie, You will not pay for my first attempt at a salt bar. They are an ugly color and I don't care for the scent that much, I couldn't possibly charge someone for them...LOL Thanks for the offer though.

Mine do, too, and I don't even need a pouf to encourage things along. It gets beautiful, big bubblage all on its own. I believe it really all depends upon the oils one chooses to make them with. I use 100% coconut oil, so that's probably why mine bubble up so nicely and effortlessly.

MarieJeanette

You're right. I've not tried 100% coconut. I use shea in mine, so I'm sure that's what keeps the lather down, but it IS very creamy. I tried a batch with cocoa butter also and got less lather than with the shea.

Well, I just unmolded my first salt bars. I don't really care for the Shaw Mudge Ocean scent. It is floraly, to my nose. Not oceany at all.

I soaped kinda hot and used my 9 bar kelsei. I put the soap in a preheated oven at 170* then turned the heat off. It sat there for about 10 hours. It is hard but not rock hard. I can kinda cut it, it will cut a little, then break. The bars are massive because I used 2lb of oils and 2lb of salt in my 9 bar mold...LOL The bars came right out of the mold which suprised me. Nothing slides out of that mold that easily.

Lorrie, You will not pay for my first attempt at a salt bar. They are an ugly color and I don't care for the scent that much, I couldn't possibly charge someone for them...LOL Thanks for the offer though.

I can't wait to hear how the bar does in the shower. The Salty Mariner from AGE is not perfumey at all. I think you would like it. How did the Ocean do when you added it to the mix? The SM riced on me pretty bad but I was able to work through it. My bars came right out of my Kelsie too. Another reason to love my Kelsie.

That's great Carrie. Mine has gotten better too but I have to really rub the bar on the bath scrubbie to get it to lather. I get good lather; I just don't like how you really have to work that bath scrubbie. I'll have to try it with some babassu too. I was thinking of decreasing my shea amount and subbing in some of the babassu.

I am going to have to try the babassu also. I make mine with shea and co and oo they lather very nice but the babassu sounds interesting. I never had a complaint about them being drying. I love the backwood sea salt breeze fo for them. I can't keep them in stock. I have also heard of people making them with pko has anyone tried that?

That's great Carrie. Mine has gotten better too but I have to really rub the bar on the bath scrubbie to get it to lather. I get good lather; I just don't like how you really have to work that bath scrubbie. I'll have to try it with some babassu too. I was thinking of decreasing my shea amount and subbing in some of the babassu.

I'll get one in the mail to you this coming week. They are huge, just keep your toes out of the way if it slips out of your hand.

I haven't been using a poof or anything, just hands. I really would like you to try this with the babassu because that's really the only difference between mine and yours. I did use uniodized salt and sea salt in mine.