Are EO's Essential?

Jorie

I want to start getting into making soaps and I have three questions,

1. When a project calls for one or more EOs, do I have to use those or can I sub with an FO that I already have on hand? what is the value to the soap process of the EO besides scent?

2. Are there any videos on the two types of lye soap-making processes? I know there are some good books out there and the step by step guides here are helpful, but for me the more visuals on the subject the better.

3. I plan to do this as a hobby and have no intention to even think of making it into a business for a few years at least, so my question is, what do I do with all that soap when I finish making it? I mean the average batch makes several bars that will each keep you clean for a few weeks at the least and while my friends love getting my freebies as some point they will have more then they could use as well. This to me is one of the biggest barriers to starting to make my own soap.

EOs have special qualities to them, they can be healing in many ways. If you don’t care for these special properties, then go with the FOs.

There is a great soap tutorial in this message board, I believe it is located in the Techniques & Ideas link on the left side of this board.

I started with making 1lb oil batches. (You must have an accurate electronic scale in order to measure properly) I was able to cut this into only 6 bars, so it wasn’t too much. I usually tested the first few batches out myself, and then started giving a few bars to family and friends.

EO's are made from the plant, flower, herb etc. They are not artificial because they are the 'real' thing they can offer benefits.

FO's are synthetic and are man-made. They offer nothing but scent.

You need to be very careful when using EO's because like a drug, they have warnings for people that are pregnant, diabetic, children, elderly etc. They can be safe but you really should know about them before you just use them for smell.

I was just ordering from Brambleberry and noticed they have a CP video for sale. I have never watched it but I thought it would be a good visual for the newbie.

When the friends and family have enough soap and you KNOW it is safe donate to the women's shelter in your area. I have dropped off boxes of soap before and it is a real treat for them.

Have fun!

Jennifer

When adding EO's (essential oils) to soap, use all the precautions (venilation, gloves on hands, don't let it touch your hand full strength, etc). But, by the time they go through the saponification, I highl doubt there is much left for aromatheraputic purposes, they provide scent only. (peppermint is one that I do believe something is left other than scent).

So if you don't have and do not want to spend the money on EO's, then go ahead and use FO's. For soap, both are used to scent the finished soap. Just make sure you are using the correct amount.

The soap dish has picture tutorials also. Some in the soap forum and some in the gallery forum.

Once you've got soaping down pat and are making a good bar, family, friends, swaps are different ways to get rid of your extra soap. For free or for gifts. If you get a lot of it, you can donate it to homeless shelters or abuse centers.

Good luck.

thanks for all your advice. To me is sounds that at the moment using FO's would be better than using EO's since all I really want to impart is scent and many of my friends have complicated medical issues so I wouldn't want to run the risk of a bad reaction from them. I will look into brambleberry and call to the local shelters once I start making a bar that I am happy with. being near chicago Im guessing someone will want them.

I started out making 2 lb batches (easier than 1 lb IMO, esp if your scale isn't extremely accurate). Once the mixture is emulsified, I divide it in 2 to scent and color differently. It's half the work, and twice the fun! :yay: Believe me, once you start giving bars away, people will be coming back for more. I eventually created a monthly newsletter with pictures and descriptions of what I had available. That way family and friends weren't "stopping by" at any time they please to look and smell the soap.