any instructions for layered?

I tried a layered candle (think thats the right terminology) 3 different colours.

1st problem, I forgot and used the same colour with 1st two layers lol, but it had bad lines/joins in it.

So then I decided I'd have a go at the one where it looks like the mould is tipped as it sets. Not sure what these are called. Turned out pants! But hey, its all practice and good fun.

Are there any instructions anywhere for doing them? especially the ones where you tilt them? (as per this thread: http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45975 )

I also tried a rustic yesterday, but I'm using a kids beaker until I get a metal mould. mmmm didn't quite turn out right.

I'll post some piccies of my efforts and failures later, maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

thanks

Its only 9.25 and I'm itching to make something!

When you're making layers you need to pour the second layer a little hotter then the first so that the layers bind together & are smooth when they come out of the mould, if you pour cooler the layers tend to come apart & will be rougher/more rustic looking.

If you're trying tilted layers the process is the same just make sure your mould wont fall over & spill hot wax everywhere...she speaks from experience...lol.

Rustics are poured cooler but not too cool & they have more stearin in than normal pw candles. Try a search about that cos I can't really explain why, except it makes the wax harder & more opaque.

Lastly you really do need a thermometer especially for doing layers or rustics, but for safety first & foremost.

Sounds like you're having fun :D

Sally.

thanks sally.

well I've spent all morning ringing everywhere. No one within about 30miles has any wax! No one has a thermometer, not even any catering places around here.

Looks like it all stops whilst I send a postal order off for a thermometer and some wax :(

wwaaahhh I'm bored!

What places are you trying for your wax?

As for layers - if you wait until the first layer is partly cool and then pour on your second layer at the same temp it usually works well!!!!

By partly cool i mean the first layer has a tough skin of wax which doesn't bulge too much if you slightly tilt the mould. I usually lightly press on it with a wooden stick and see if it feels soft. You start to get a feel for it and it means you can do lots of layers without having to end up going to very high temps. The final repour should always be hotter though.

As for the thermometer - if you're just playing around i wouldn't worry too much - i lasted months without one (and melted my wax in a yoghurt pot on an oil burner!!!) and made some great looking layered pillars!!!!

I'd try the flat ones first though, before the slanted, as the slanted can be a bit more tricky.

hiya,

well for the wax, i've tried all local craft shops (i.e. physical shops to save on postage) the cheapest I've found online is 5kg inc postage £15, but that one doesn't sell soy and wanted to try that.

I've found 5kg paraffin, 1600g soy and 6-20g of soft for £26.14 inc. postage.

Some internet shops are very fast. One i do like is http://www.craftwiseuk.com/acatalog/candlemaking.html

They do cheap but good quality wax. It doesn't have any additives but shipping is free and it usually comes in a day or so. They have a shop in leeds, but that's prob a bit too far!!!!!

Most internet shops will ship to you in a couple of days

I've never paid postage there and i've definetely ordered less than 5kg and in the last fortnight!!!! very strange.

As for soy, not tried their soy (not tried any soy lol!!!) there's

http://www.candelights.co.uk/supplies/wax.html

They ship pretty fast too.

Just checked craft wise and i figured out what's happening. They've increased their min order value from £10 to 15 recently, so that's why you're having to pay a bit more. I buy their wax in the 25kg lots!!! LOL!!!

Their stearin is very reasonable, so you could always add summit like that - you're bound to need stearin if you wanna have a go at rustics! (annoying i know - but i just love their wax!!!)

If you're using plastic moulds just now I would recommend you get a thermometer, it's all too easy to overheat your wax or pour it too hot for the mould.

Plastic moulds warp under high heat VERY easily....I've ruined a few myself that way.

Sally

I got a thermometer, yayyyyyyyy

bit big though, but not as big as the foot long one I saw first!!

Problem is its for jam and it says not to let it touch the bottom of the pan, I'm wondering if that means the pan the wax is in. Don't know if jam is done in one pan with direct heat you see.

Been in all the charity shops today too, looking for a double burner (fat chance!) or even a bigger deeper top pan, but nothing as yet.

Hubby, bless him, is trying to help, says "we've got a tea urn at work is that any good?" hehe

btw, do I near stearin then? soz, so new at this, still figuring out the wax and additives

LOL!!! Sorry, thought you knew all about stearin!!!! Basically it has lots of uses but the two main ones i use it for is mould release and increasing the fragrance capacity of the wax. Using stearin means you can add more FO basically so you can get stronger smelling candles (though if you use too much stearin it has the opposite effect - v annoying). Stearin also helps increase the hardness of the wax and (i think anyway) the amount of shrinkage you get with the wax. This makes it easier to get the candle out of the mould.

I find with rustic candles they're a nightmare to get out of the moulds if you don't use stearin. With stearin the candle seems to come right out - it's great!!!!! I also use stearin when i do slanted layers as it again makes it easier to get the candle out.

I use stearin at about 10%, though you don't have to be too precise with it. It also makes the colour a little paler and the candle more opaque.

Hope this makes sense!!!!!

Yes hun jam is made in one pot on direct heat, if your thermometer has a brass back to it you're laughing, if its just glass take care not to tap it on the side of your melting pot....they tend to break toooooooo easily....yes, been there done that!

Sally.