Curing Time CP Soap

bugtussle

I did a SEARCH but couldn't find the answer. In Robin's CP Tutorial, she says cure time is 2-4 weeks. When I made CP in February, it was suggested I let it cure for 6 weeks. How do you know when the soap is cured & ready to go?? I did cure my soap 1st soap for 6 weeks, but that was a long time. What do you guys put it in to cure? TIA, Dumb Carole

A lot of it depends on oils used and water used... My standard recipe is about 4 weeks. I think that 4 weeks is a good rule of thumb. If you soap with a water discount it is more like 2 weeks.

I think that knowing comes with practice. The soap should not be squishy but firm. The older they are the harder they are because water is constantly evaporating.

Until you know for sure with your own recipe(s) I would say 4 weeks is a good ballpark amount of time.

My fresh soap go right on the stainless steel drying racks that I have.

Jennifer

Thank you Jennifer. I'll leave it for 4 weeks. You helped me last time. I never really got to see a good trace and it took a long time to set up. But Monday, my batch actually hit trace, swirled pretty good and looks decent - Grn Irish Tweed for my husband. I guess I am getting better. Thks, Carole

Thank you Jennifer. I'll leave it for 4 weeks. You helped me last time. I never really got to see a good trace and it took a long time to set up. But Monday, my batch actually hit trace, swirled pretty good and looks decent - Grn Irish Tweed for my husband. I guess I am getting better. Thks, Carole

Now you just need to post a picture! :) I am glad that it worked for you.

Jennifer

I try to let mine cure for at least six weeks before being sold. Soap does get harder and lathers better with time. There's just no rushing a good thing! I tell my customers soap is a bit like fine wine; it just improves with age. :D

Give me a good bar of OLD handcrafted soap over a freshly-made one ANYDAY. :wink2:

Give me a good bar of OLD handcrafted soap over a freshly-made one ANYDAY. :wink2:

Amen to THAT!

I've got a whole big box full of my favorite scent that I soaped about a year and a half ago...I'm hoarding em up like they're gold!! I think there's about 19 bars in there, and NOBODY'S gettin em but ME! I just can't bring myself to touch em yet cuz I know that if I leave em alone today...they'll be even better tomorrow. Problem is, thinking like that, hell they'll never get used. :rolleyes2

Actually you can really start using your soap within a week of making it.

The reason for long cure times is to allow all of the water to evaporate out and the bar to become harder, which will allow the bar to last longer in the shower. BUT the bar is actually safe to start using right away.

I usually do a water discount when I make my batches and they are almost all the way hardened up within 4 weeks.

I personally cannot use CP soap that fresh. It really dries out my skin. In fact, just cutting fresh soap bars up dries my hands out like crazy. LOL

Now HP is another matter. I can use it fairly quickly.

Since it's a tutorial I should probably change that to 4-6 weeks, or put a disclaimer in it :)

I use my soap personally at 3-4 days, though it's a bit drying. But definately personal use at a week, and at the very soonest it might be ready at 2 weeks *if* it was going to be shipped and take another week to get into a customers hands.

The caveats - I discount water, I use a bit over 50% hard oils, and I pour at a pretty heavy trace.

But it is better the older it gets, no doubt about it.

The reason for long cure times is to allow all of the water to evaporate out and the bar to become harder, which will allow the bar to last longer in the shower. BUT the bar is actually safe to start using right away.

Yes they are "safe" to use but not optimal even ignoring the water thing for a few weeks. Somehow the soaps I've used and made mellow over the first few weeks and are significantly less harsh. After 2 weeks or so I think the major benefit is evaporation but I have even given up even testing my soaps till 2 weeks to save my skin...