Need help formulating an emulsifying scrub

Carriegsxr6

hello all you experienced scrub makers.....

can you help me formulate an emulsifying salt body scrub???

I would like to use three different oils, fine dead sea salt, e-wax and steric acid, BUT I have no clue on where to start with percentages? I was looking for something that would stay somewhat creamy in the jar and not separate.

I have heard with regular salt scrubs you usually add 2 parts salt to one part oil, but I believe it will be different when you are adding the e-wax and the steric.

Anyone willing to help me with a starting point on percentages? I am aware that I will still need to test and tweak the recipe to my liking.

All suggestions are appreciated.

:D :D

Not any help on this Carrie but believe it or not I was just sitting here wondering if the Emulsified Body Butter recipe on here you could add salt/sugar to make a scrub. I was just fixing to ask this question? lol I really prefer to whip my scrubs that way you don't have to worry about the oils separating from the scrubbies.

I use 10% E-wax and 8% Stearic Acid in mine. I also at .5% of Cetyl Alcohol to mine.

Edited to add. Don't know if you know and if you do, don't mean to insult you. But, be careful if you change suppliers of your E-Wax because it can change the outcome of your recipe. I learned that the hard way.

I use 10% E-wax and 8% Stearic Acid in mine. I also at .5% of Cetyl Alcohol to mine.

thank you for the starting point on the e-wax and steric. Now was my understanding of the salts to oils ratio correct? About 2 to 1?

also thank you for the heads up about the wax. i am going with MMS since they are the closest, and I will make sure to stick with them.

thank you for the starting point on the e-wax and steric. Now was my understanding of the salts to oils ratio correct? About 2 to 1?

also thank you for the heads up about the wax. i am going with MMS since they are the closest, and I will make sure to stick with them.

I don't put salts in mine, just sugar and I use a combo of plain white sugar and turbinado. I tried the salts and did not care for them since they can sting any cut or sore on your body.

I don't go on a set amount, either per say, but use how much I want depending on the scrubbiness I want. Usually, my sugar amount is around 60% though.

MMS is a great supplier for e-wax. They are who I use. I once got some e-wax from a supplier going out of business. The price was great, but my scrubs were a flop. So its back to MMS I go and with MMS I will stay. lol

In my emulsified scrubs you need to be careful how much sugar/salt you add or it will become very hard and dried out. I use about 1.5 oz of sugar ( a combo of white and turbinado) per 10 oz of base. Sometimes I add a bit more, but if I go too much, it gets very hard and pasty. I also like to add a combo of oils and butters depending on the season.

Ann M