what is your "dream" soap mold ?

Mnhorsemom

I have an anniversary coming up and DH wanted to know what I wanted. I told him a new soap mold ( I am new to soaping, made my first cp last weekend). So, what do I want hhhmmm...log or slab, wood or whatever, dividers or not I just don't know. Also where would be the best place to get it. I would like something that I will be able to do swirls in (down the road). So, since I know there are lots of great soapers here I'm sure I will get great advice. TIA

Well, looks like I may have to go this without much info. For those that sell their soaps do you hand cut the bars or does your mold have dividers? If I ever get good at soap I would like to be able to try to sell some since I have a very small house with no storage and I sometimes go a bit overboard when I find a hobby that I really like ;) Right now I have literally 1/4 of my kitchen taken up with totes and boxes full of candle and B&B supplies. Thanks goodness DH is a patient man.

I don't think you can go wrong with a log or slab. I have both. Depending on what look I am going for determines which mold I use. Slab...swirls. Log...textured tops or swirl in the pot method. I am partial to Upland molds. They have cut lines on the slab mold. For the log I use a soap cutter with a measurement on the sides so I get the same size bar everytime. If you just starting out I would start with a log..IMO. Good luck:wink2:

My dream mold is a log mold that I can swirl in, then put the inserts in, like a kelsei, but log. I would also be able to change it from 2 to 4 to 6 lbs easily and it doesn't need to be lined.

That's my dream mold. I bet it doesn't help you though. Personally I like log molds, I like the shape of the soap that comes out of them. I also like that cutter that was like an egg slicer. All the wires and it cuts logs all at one time. But again, I'm dreaming.

Carrie, I'm with you, I like logs better. I have a hard time cutting the slab, to be honest. I love the swirls I can get in the slab, but they are a pain to cut. That's why I said I'd like a block mold with a log splitter. I could swirl in that, then cut the block into loaves, then cut those into bars. Maybe that makes more sense.

If I *had* to use only one (log or slab), I'd go with a log.

I have slab molds which are not a problem to cut. The problem is getting the soap out of the mold. The mold is scored, so lining it would defeat the purpose. If I had one of the specialty molds like from Upland, then it would be a different story.

I like the versatility of a log mold. If it is custom made, you could make it deep enough so that you could pour 2 lbs, 4 lbs or 6 lbs using the same mold, with difference being varying soap heights.