Consignment - Since no QVC

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

OK, I've searched here on topics that dealt with consignment. I didn't get QVC, no feedback, but that's OK. I have a few other things in the works. Maybe there is something better out there for me, I just don't know about it. Well, anyway I stopped on the way home at this little shop that I've seen come to life and thinking, "I would love to have a small shop like that". This is in an area that has really come up and there are alot of small shops in this area that are nice. ANYWAY, I went in there and I noticed the lady I'd seen before (she has been at the BIG show I do in December), I bought a sliver of soap and mentioned how I made my own soaps and candles and such. I then asked if they did wholesale or consignment. She mentioned consignment since they don't have a buget yet. They literally opened last week or the week before that. She invited me to come back and showed me their "free press" in the local paper. The store is called Artisans and they carry only handmade products from people in the area and she liked that I lived like 5 minutes away. I know there are bad stories about this, but I'm wondering if this would be a start?

OK, the point, what do I take? No as far as paperwork, but as far as candles and such. Do I go in there with a sample of everything? I sell:

16 oz Masons

8 oz masons

tealights

Flower pot votives

soy melts

CP soap in 8 scents

Lotion bars in tubes

Hand and foot scrub

Foot soak

Whipped Shea

I also have a few gift sets. Should I just take pictures of it all and then take a few things? I have a Spring/Summer scent list and a Fall/Winter scent list. I would like to do this as soon as possible to keep the interest. I did wholesale the lady tried to get over on me and set her own terms. My candles did well, but she was too lazy and all other stuff.

I know this is long, but TIA for any help!

I have a few of my items in a local consignment shop, I just took a few of my candles and left flyers with my other products.

I don't know how this consignment shop is set up, but the one here is ran by volunteers, so they are pretty desperate for workers and will let just about anybody do it. There is one lady in particular who brings her kids with her, and boy are they wild. Everytime I've ever been up there to check my stuff and she has been working, her kids have been "running" through the store, playing with items people have left for consignment, driving people who are trying to chop crazy. They are the biggest reason I didn't leave too many of my items. I dind't want them destroyed.

Don't get me wrong, I love kids, I have two of my own. But, if you are fortunate enough to be able to take them places with you like that, then control them. If you can't you need to either leave them with someone or keep them at home. If mine acted like that, that's exactly what I would do. I mean this is a volunteer thing, it's not necessary for income purposes or anything.

But, this one may be more professionally run. I think consignment shops can be a good thing. It will at least get you name out to more people if nothing else. I have had a few people call me about my products because they saw my display there.

Good Luck To Ya

Our shop does consignment, we have no budget for purchasing, and we also sell only locally made things. Some of our vendors do quite well.

I would recommend bringing in a quantity of just a few kinds of things: maybe a dozen of 2 kinds of candles, etc. I find people who bring in 1 of this and 1 of that rarely sell. I think that buyers think it is left over.

If she will allow you the space, then maybe get your own shelf and set up a nice display and keep it stocked. Also ask her what she'd be interested in.

My initial thought is uh oh! How did she open a shop with no budget? The other thought is, is the soap you bought something she made? If so, why would you want to have your stuff in direct competition from the owners? You know which one will be promoted.

Guest EMercier

There are three ladies that opened the shop that are artisans themselves. They are working it all out. The soap I bought is not made by them. They just do art work. They sell pottery, clothing, bags, and handmade books. Nice store.

My initial thought is uh oh! How did she open a shop with no budget? The other thought is, is the soap you bought something she made? If so, why would you want to have your stuff in direct competition from the owners? You know which one will be promoted.

It is possible to open with little or no budget, we are five partners sharing the rent and expenses, that way it boils down to very little each per month that each is responsible for. Judging by the numbers of businesses that start and go out of business within a few months, I think that many start with less. While I do buy some things outright, such as certain craft supplies that we also sell, all the finished things are made by the owners or on consignment.

We don't take anything that is in direct competition with anything already there, whether it is a partner's or a vendor's, and we are quite happy when we sell a lot of vendors' stuff. I have no problems selling fairly well at any time of year, and right now I would sooner sell $100 of a vendor's things than of mine. The store would make only 5%, or $5 on my stuff (as we give a % of everything we sell to help cover additional expenses), but the store would make $33.34 on $100 worth of a vendor's stuff. At this time of year, we can use the money.

It all depends of the store. Some are miserable and only self-promoting, and others try to do well with everyone. I think we are one of the latter, and we have seldom had any problems with any vendor.

A lot depends on the vendor also. Some expect that they can bring in any overpriced crap, and walk off with thousands of dollars each month; others almost have to be threatened to bring stuff in, do so at the most ridiculous time (as mid january), and then wonder why stuff doesn't sell. Most of ours are pretty good though.

A lot depends on the shop and it's location. That determines the type of clientèle they will have. I do some consignment at a shop where the owner makes furniture. Beautiful Windsor chairs. They also do consignment for local artists. Their clientèle are usually looking for gifts. I focus on 'gift' type candles. And I have a display of ornies air fresheners there that do very well. It wouldn't hurt to try a feel things there but don't expect QVC type sales.