Has Anyone Added Their Lye....

Hibiscus

I've only heard of adding the hot lye water directly to the hard oils and using the heat to melt the oils. I don't think I'd trust adding lye to oils, and THEN adding water. If any of those lye crystals didn't dissolve...owie!

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to figure out?

Ok, I read about the hot lye mix melting hard oils somewhere on these boards, too. I am thinking about a method where hot glycerin is used for the lye and was just wondering if anyone has actually seen it or done it and wouldn't mind sharing pics:cheesy2: yeah I know, asking way too much..lol but some things I need to see. I've got a crazy idea but I would only share if it is successful:embarasse

By the sounds of it, you're describing the method I mentioned. Some people call it Room Temperature Soaping, but I interpret that as soaping once all the ingredients (melted oils and lye mixture) have come down to room temp.

I have not tried this method, but I do want to try it soon. I just need to get past my move (and this lovely bout of the flu). If you go to this blog, they discussed this method in the May 10th entry.

http://coloradoorganics.blogspot.com/

The Slide Show really helps you work through the steps. But from my understanding, it's supposed to cut down everything but tracing time when it comes to soap making. Even being able to remove from the mold, and cutting the bars. I hope this is what you were talking about, and that this helped some!

oh I'm just confuzzled as usual.

i would recommend against adding the lye to the oils before adding water - the lye + oils mix won't generate heat as quickly as the lye + water mix and I'd bet on you ending up with quite a mess.