Wick for 4oz tin?

Hi,

okay okay, I just can't find my notes! I have some 4oz tins to try, 3" diameter.

Its going to be soy (I know theres a soy section ;) ) but wondered if a wick question maybe better on here?

Anyone give me a good starting point for an ECO wick with these?

3" is approx is approx 75mm which states an ECO8 but that seems rather large?

Just wondered if anyone had any experience.

Once I've got these down, will an 8oz tin (same diameter) be the same wick?

Can't believe I just said, 'got these down'!!

Lol, picking up these Americanisms. You'll be wanting color chips next ;-)

I find I always have to wick up from those recommendations, particularly with Soy. And it seems to me that tins draw away or radiate out some of the heat too. I'd go ECO 12 to start. Then maybe drop to ECO 10.

Mr Chips

only got eco's and lx's nat.

Theres far too many wicks and abbreviations around' date=' I got totally confused and picked one lot for paraffin and one lot for soy lol.

I've got ECO 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8. Haven't got any bigger. Darn![/quote']

Try Eco 6 first. at least 2 burns worth. Then try 8.

Metal tins get much much hotter than glass, so the flame heats the tin up fast and the wax melts across the container faster than it would in a glass container. You'll be surprised to find that you need to wick down than the size you'd normally use. I would say an eco 8 is perfect - you don't want too hot a flame as that tin will be RED hot - you need it just enough to get to the edge on the 1st or 2nd burn.

thanks Nat

1st one has an eco6 in. Will leave it till at least tomorrow to test ;)

so.... am I correct with my testing then' date=' 3inch tin, 3hour burn, leave for bout an hour to set up, another 3 hour burn, etc?[/quote']

yup. but you may not need a 3 hour burn because the tin gets hotter faster. it's always better to use the smallest size wick possible to try and avoid a red hot tin - or you'll get customers moaning about burned fingers (some are idiots and WILL try to move a hot candle!)

yup. but you may not need a 3 hour burn because the tin gets hotter faster. it's always better to use the smallest size wick possible to try and avoid a red hot tin - or you'll get customers moaning about burned fingers (some are idiots and WILL try to move a hot candle!)

Not that I've EVER done that of course :embarasse

or plunged my whole hand into 190degree wax to take out fallen orange slices in a cane rofl :laugh2:

so.... am I correct with my testing then' date=' 3inch tin, 3hour burn, leave for bout an hour to set up, another 3 hour burn, etc?[/quote']

It would be best to wait at least 2 hours between burns. You should also do a power burn at some point: 4-6 hours.

Not that I've EVER done that of course :embarasse

or plunged my whole hand into 190degree wax to take out fallen orange slices in a cane rofl :laugh2:

Goodness. Ow? So, plunging your hand into 190 degrees does what kind of damage? How badly does that burn? I'm curious because I see myself doing this. lol.

tbh, my hand must have been in a good few seconds before I thought, erm this is hot!!

But I kept it in there, I was that desperate not to let my orange slice hurricane fail (already tried it once before and lost it lol).

It was very thick, the wax, on my hand and fingers, wax upto my knuckles. The fingers came off whole, so much detail, would be great for halloween hehe

Bit of tingling on them for couple of hours after and a bit red, but all in all, I think I came off unscatched!:highfive:

btw, tried the ECO6 and theres no hangups after 3 hours, brilliant, but there a mushroom on the top of the wick from about 2 1/2hours onwards and the flame is a little too high I feel.

Would going to a 4 or 8 be better?

Am I wicking up or down hehe getting the lingo :laugh2:

tbh' date=' my hand must have been in a good few seconds before I thought, erm this is hot!!

But I kept it in there, I was that desperate not to let my orange slice hurricane fail (already tried it once before and lost it lol).

It was very thick, the wax, on my hand and fingers, wax upto my knuckles. The fingers came off whole, so much detail, would be great for halloween hehe

Bit of tingling on them for couple of hours after and a bit red, but all in all, I think I came off unscatched!:highfive:

btw, tried the ECO6 and theres no hangups after 3 hours, brilliant, but there a mushroom on the top of the wick from about 2 1/2hours onwards and the flame is a little too high I feel.

Would going to a 4 or 8 be better?

Am I wicking up or down hehe getting the lingo :laugh2:[/quote']

don't wick up - wick down and see if an eco 4 does the job. some wicks mushroom some don't - an 8 will mushroom even more and your candle will last half the time it should - if the 6 is ok then an 8 will be seriously overwicked.

flame too high? trim the wick.

will try the 4 tomorrow. is a mushroom ok' date=' if the flame isn't too high then?[/quote']

mushrooms just happen. some wicks do, some wicks don't. I prefer for them not to happen but if the candle burns good, and the scent throw is good then a little mushroom is not the worst thing in the world. It's just a gentle reminder to trim the wick.

thanks Nat

will give the 4 a go later :)

I have a star tin to try and wick too, thats a star one, but the widest tips are approx the same as 4oz tin. It's one of the little shallow ones, 'doing the rounds on ebay' at the mo :) May try the 4 in that too.

thanks again

x