Browning Lotions

Kelly

Can anyone suggest something I might be able to do to stop my lotions (usually pink sugar or others containing vanilla) from browning/tanning/discoloring?

Forgot to say that I use bases... if that matters. And I don't use dyes.

TIA

WSP sells a browning neutralizer that you mix with your FO. It smells pretty bad but apparently it works. I bought some but haven't gotten to use it yet. They make one for M&P soap and one for lotions so make sure to buy the correct one. HTH

I NEVER have trouble with my lotions turning brown using Pink Sugar. Now... Bath Salts... that's another story! LOL :rolleyes2

I wonder if it matters what supplier you get it from? I buy my PS FO from The Candle Source. My Pink Sugar lotions stay nice and pink.

My bath salts get a muddy pink color... not purty at all!!! :embarasse

I haven't had any bases (lotions and body mousse) turning brown with any FO including vanillas. Pink Sugar seems to be my most popular and I have no problems. I get my pink sugar from ICS. I know vanillas will turn soaps brown, including MP after a time but it shouldn't turn lotions brown.

Not sure why yours did :confused: Where are you getting your base from? I don't think its the FO's as much as the base if you have problems with more than one FO with vanilla in it.

I'm sure it's not the base causing the problem because I've used it in smelly jellies as well and it also has turned brown. I get my FO from BCN, might need to try a different supplier for my PS... too bad I like BCNs PS.

I put another FO with vanilla in a lotion to see if it'll turn as well. It takes a couple days to get tan so I'll have to wait and see what happens. Also I was told if you add dyes (which I don't) the lotions/creams/etc won't turn brown so that's probably why it hasn't happened to you Creative. Have you tried it in lotion without dyes?

It is something in the base, I know this because I have used two different lotion bases with my Pink Sugar and one turned brown and the other didn't. The lotion base from KY as well as the Soy Whip turned brown in a few days, the lotion base from Craft Lobby didn't, it stayed a pretty shade of pink.

Now, I'm no scientist and maybe somebody who knows more about the ingredients and how they react can help out more here. But I had been meaning to compare the two bases and see what was in each and what wasn't so maybe I could narrow down what was causing the problem. I just never did, and now that I have stopped selling for a while, I probably won't. But if it will help somebody out, I can list the ingredients of each and let somebody have a stab at it.

Just let me find my list of Craft Lobby's Ingredients and I'll get back with ya.

What do you package your lotions in? I'm wondering if it might be using a clear jar and a reaction to light and the FO you used? I've not had things turn dark, but have had them turn yellow with light exposure, but in the opaque jars they are fine.

Bethany

I use those jars that are completely white, light can't get through. I guess I'm just going to hope that another PS will work with my base because I really don't want to change it! And since this PS I have changes everything brown, I might as well try another PS anyway.

I make a vanilla body creme but I don't use a lotion base and the vanilla FO doesn't turn my body creme brown. I also put this in clear jars so the light does get to it but the creme stays white. I never tried the Pink Sugar FO, Vanilla is the only FO I use in my body cremes. I use Essential Oils in the others. Not even sure what Pink Sugar FO smells like!

I make body creams and lotions as well and there is only one FO that changes the color and that's angel it always changes anything you put it in to yellow. There are a couple of oils that will change the color of my lotion/cream to beige or yellow. I've heard of pink sugar turning brown in CP but nothing else.

Well it doesn't turn brown brown, it turns tan. It's a common complain over at BC especially for soapers, and for those who don't use the BC bases... apparently it doesn't brown in the BC base. And apparently it doesn't brown in any base if you use dyes (which I don't), so I guess that's probably why I'm having the troubles. But I don't want to have to use dyes in my lotions either so... sigh. If I can't get another PS to work I'll probably just not carry it in creams/lotions.

BCN's PS turns a GROSS - almost black in smelly jellies when dyes aren't used. Might try ICS because Jami said above that she hasn't had any problems.

Interesting. The lotion base from Essentials by Catalina is prone to browning. Any vanilla in the FO at all and it goes dark. The Lemon Meringue Pie FO from The Candle Source turns it so dark it's unreal.

Time to find a new lotion base? Darn. I like the way the EbC lotion absorbs quickly...

Ah well, back to the drawing board...

Well if it smells bad this doesn't sound like a good product? Or does it just smell bad in large quantities but the FO should cover the smell?

Sorry, I should have been more clear- It smells really bad initially. But after you mix it with your FO I believe the smell goes away after a few hours. The reviews on the WSP site are very helpful if you want more info. HTH

Interesting. The lotion base from Essentials by Catalina is prone to browning. Any vanilla in the FO at all and it goes dark. The Lemon Meringue Pie FO from The Candle Source turns it so dark it's unreal. Time to find a new lotion base? Darn. I like the way the EbC lotion absorbs quickly...Ah well, back to the drawing board...

I have this base from a different supplier in Ohio. I am going to test a little more tonite and will see how my FO's react in it. I will keep you posted. How long did it take before your base turned brown?

I've only had one lotion ever change color on me. It's been a couple years, but it was a bizarre experience.

First, it was a lotion I made. I made a straight vanilla, didn't color it at all, and it stayed pure white, even when exposed to sunlight.

Made a Vanilla Rose (blended the same vanilla with some Rose FO), and colored it a soft pink. Several days later it was more mauve in color than pink.

Why did the colored one change, and not the other? I have no idea. Because it was the same Vanilla FO used in both lotions, the only difference was the colorant (I also made a straight rose and that one didn't discolor either, so it wasn't the rose FO). The batch that was colored tanned. The uncolored batch stayed white. Weird...

But I've ALWAYS had a Vanilla or Vanilla blend in my lotion line up (I LOVE VANILLA!), I just keep them uncolored, and I've never had a problem with them browning.

How long did it take before your base turned brown?

Depends on the FO used. I had a Cherry Vanilla that turned a pale pinkish shade (kinda pretty, actually) in about 3 weeks and stayed that way for months but now it's heading to brown town.

The Lemon Meringue Pie started turning right away and it only took a month before it was a chocolate shade.

I use several bases and every single one of them turns tan or beige colored over time when I add vanilla FO. I use different vanillas from different suppliers. In fact, I now color my lotions in advance with a dash of brown so that customers do not think that their lotions are going bad in a couple of weeks. THAT is embarrasing. I will have to look into lotion vanilla stabilizer. I am not sure if I want to go this route though. I am not hurting in sales with my tan and beige lotions. LOL! Many just view it as a "natural" sort of thing. :grin2: