Where to sell soy candles?

I've been selling them on Ebay for nearly a year now, but more and more, I'm coming up against those who are somehow able to sell for a lot less, which means I'm not getting the sales I was last year and the fees make it so I'm not making much. There are so many sellers on there who sell Mia Bella and other similar candles and they sell so cheap that it is incomprehensible!

So my question is: where do you sell?

I have a website, used Dreamweaver to set it up. I have a decent-sized customer base, but they don't order frequently enough.

I've tried local shops, but it seems they're not that interested for the most part.

I've sold to co-workers and friends, as well, but again, they don't order frequently, just once in a while when they run out.

Thought of flea markets and craft shows, but don't know where to go for listings and by the time I find out about them, it is too late to make a huge variety of candles to sell and then set up...

How do you market your candles?

I've got the tools, I have an awesome product... just having problems getting my name out there.

Any advice?

TIA!:yay:

Call your local Chamber of Commerce and tell the you want a list of local craft shows. festivals with crafts, and contact info on those shows.

*** Go to a local craft show and talk to the crafters about the shows they enter.

***Be willing to be a newbie again when you do this and expect sales to be slow for the first several shows.

*** You may have been making and selling candles for a year but if the locals don't know, you're a newbie all over again!:lipsrseal

Fire

Another option is to go give samples to your local realtors. Most realtors buy gifts for their customers when the deal closes and you can sell to them a little cheaper if they buy enough volume. You can also make up gift baskets with several candles for them. My bank also has a "business of the month" and we're going to be in that soon. Put together a marketing letter and start dropping samples off. We've hit several cafes that have gifts and also wineries. Not everyone will order right away, but you'll be surprised how many do and how many keep your info and call in 6 months.

That is excellent advice Fire. I was just going to say the same thing but also call the nearest towns chamber of commerce to. I called around to 3 and also looked on their sites and that's where I found most of my craft shows for this fall/winter. I also looked up craft shows/festivals specifically in my state and found a few.

Also see if your local firemans departments womens auxilery has any kind of events such as a gift basket bingo or something like that you can donate to or make candles for them.

You can make flyers. Run a sale ad in the newspaper, list your name in the yellow pages, flea markets, word of mouth is still the best. How about church. Church members are usually very supportive to their fellow members and will buy from you, and they will tell others about you too. I gave some away for Christmas to my sisters in law. Now one of them wants more and has people lined up who want them too - her co workers, her in laws, etc. And my daughter takes flyers that I print up with a price and scent list with her to work and leaves them on the table in the break room or on the bulletin board. Also go to local salons and businesses that might be interested. Such as hair salons, nail salons, tanning salons, etc. I've been in beauty salons and seen candles, lotions, etc being sold that were privately labeled. Those are just a few ideas.

If you give out samples, you need to follow up with them. You have to show them you want their business. If someone brought me a sample and didn't follow up, I would take that as a reflection of what to expect if I wanted to place an order with them.

Make up price lists and brochures with good pictures for all your family and friends. Schools, hospitals, realtors, home builders, heath stores, head shops, produce stands, etc. are all good sources. If they have a price list, you are more likely to get orders. You can direct them to your website also. Donate candles to auctions, public service fundraisers, etc. Donate candles as door prizes to your local chamber of commerce (always good to join the chamber) or other civic organizations. Let wedding planners and caterers know you do custom candles, too. Depending upon your product, you can approach gift shops, florists, restaurants, bars, salons of all kinds (nail, tanning, hair). Interior designers may be interested in your products. Near holidays ALWAYS have some with you wherever you go for people who need a last minute gift. Invite neighbors and friends over for an afternoon candle party. Run ads in all free shopper's guides and classifieds or business card sized ads in local newspapers (especially for special feature newspaper ad supplements such as weddings & holidays, interior decorating, home & garden, crafts, etc.), local television and real estate guides. Ask to leave brochures anywhere and everywhere. Most grocery stores and neighborhood markets have bulletin boards where you can put a flyer. Pass out coupons for 10% off at ball games, waiting in line anywhere, drop off at realtors, any civic meeting or organization, etc. Heck, you could even pass out a few coupons waiting in the car pool line for the kids! Make up business cards with your web address and telephone contact number and pass them out like candy. Give candles as gifts to teachers, office workers, bank tellers, mail people, UPS people, doctors, dentists, etc. Be sure your label is easy to read and has your web address and phone number on it so people can call with orders.

Whenever you make a nice donation for a cause, be sure to take a photo with your stuff and someone from the organization and submit it to your local newspaper as a press release. Print up a few tee shirts (iron-on computer designs don't cost much to produce) and wear them when you go anywhere casual. Get some business card sized magnets and include them as promotional materials to distribute.

Hope some of these ideas help you! :D

I do really well with small tea light size samples and an invitation to an open house. Many times, people will ask what other fragrances you have even if they can't attend the open house. For me, this is the end of the deadest time of year candle-wise... Even with the summer scents, people just don't think candle as much until fall.

-Kristi

great ideas on the giving of samples, be like a mary kay or other make up lady, hand it out baby! that's how alot of them succeed, for every one you come in contact with you are one step close to a repeat customer. i am going with the school fundraiser. send a brochure to schools near you with a sample for the teacher that is in charge of the fund raisers. there is a good way to hook some repeat customers! and giving them out to an office where they will burn them will get people to ask where the heck did they get that great smellin candle and your label will let them know. make your webaddres on the candle big enough to see with out having to pick up the candle to read it and ending up spilling it! my hubby has offered free delivery for our candles, who doesn't like free delivery. (local only)