Question on Galvanized Steel

GrandmaArial

I was reading the beveller thread and followed the links… and found this.

http://www.forcraftssake.mainsecure.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=203&zenid=7f6ebd941201eb7192483bd51f0f1e2b

As I need more drying racks this caught my attention. My question is when looking at it, it uses galvanized steel wire. I seem to remember that zinc (what steal is covered with) is one of the minerals that needs to be avoided, along with aluminum, tin, and magnesium. please reasure me and tell me i'm just getting old and remebering wrong.

Darn… even on the drying rack you soaps are gorgeous! I guess I’ll have to make a trip to Home Depo this weekend too. Either that or wait to soap til the soaps I made the last cople weeks finishes curing.. Nope.. can’t so that!

Thank you CareBear, I throw out enough goofy experiments, I don’t need to waste effort because of DOS that could be avoided. However… now I have to go tell hubby he was right… he told me metal racks would be a mistake, I told him he didn’t know what he’s talking about and I’d ask the experts… now I gotta grovel…

So something like the "ClosetMaid" units should work ok? They are Vinyl-coated steel shelving. I would like to have some permanatly installed shelves so his highness can't decide they are in his way and move them out to the shed or something. He's such a guy sometimes!

So something like the "ClosetMaid" units should work ok? They are Vinyl-coated steel shelving. I would like to have some permanatly installed shelves so his highness can't decide they are in his way and move them out to the shed or something. He's such a guy sometimes!

The coated wire shelf units are perfect.

e

Interesting - all the soaps I had on my racks have little DOS dots on the edges that sat on the wire racks. It took a few months to develop but there they are. Maybe mine aren't stainless tho - maybe they are chrome or whatever is used these days, I'm not sure on that.

Doesn't happen on my coated racks tho.

Interesting - all the soaps I had on my racks have little DOS dots on the edges that sat on the wire racks. It took a few months to develop but there they are. Maybe mine aren't stainless tho - maybe they are chrome or whatever is used these days, I'm not sure on that.

Doesn't happen on my coated racks tho.

What percentage of short shelf oils are you using? Anything over 10 would be suspect in my book.

e

Well, it's not really an issue for me cause I just lay some soft cloth down on the racks and put my soaps on them.

But to answer your question, depends on what you consider a short shelf life oil. I stay away from Grapeseed and the like. The majority of my recipes are olive and coconut oils. Other oils include

Palm

PKO

Babassu

RBO

Castor

Sunflower

Crisco

Shea Butter

Mango Butter

Sweet Almond Oil

Apricot Kernel Oil