When testing for hot throw....

Ok, I am testing several 8oz jj right now and I am curious to see how everyone determines a good hot throw with this size jar.

I put it first into my smallest room (bathroom) and if it gives me a great HT in there I move it to a small bedroom. So far I have had great luck with the few scents I am testing in this size giving a decent HT but should I expect this size jar to scent my living room/dining room? :confused: Because it doesn't.... unless I have 2 going at once.

Would you expect a 16oz jar to scent your living/dining area? Your entire home?

I do not have a huge house...but I notice that many tarts I burn can be smelled throughout the house. I haven't had such luck with any candle that I have made, or that I have purchased elsewhere.

What are your expectations when it comes to jar size and HT?

Thanks so much for your input!!

I have a smallish home (1200 sq. ft.) so if it scents most of our house, it's a go. LOL

Actually, we burn in the main living area when testing. After there's a decent melt pool, we walk out of the house, take a few deep breaths of fresh air, then walk back in and note where we first caught whiff of the scent. Usually it's like 12 feet away, at least.

Edited to add: This is for an 8 oz. jar. :)

I'm with the rest. I have to agree though, I seem to have a hard time with my nose. I must go outside for a spell and come back in to smell. I also notice the scent seems to go up my stairs, so I sniff up there also. The best bet is to have an outside party (one who doesn't live in your house) come in and smell, because normally visitors walk in a can identify a 8 oz candle scent right away.

this is going to be a problem for me. I have NO NOSE when it comes to candles. Truly. I burned one in my office the other day and the woman next to me said she couldn't work it was so strong. I got NOTHING. This is not unusual. Good thing I ahve so many friends.

I am starting to wonder if my sense of smell is lacking....lol. I am going to try stepping outside for a breather and see if when I come back in, I can smell the candle. :smiley2:

My hubby is no help at all cause he can't smell anything... unless it's edible. haha. So perhaps I can grab a neighbors for an opinion as well.

Thanks for the help!

OK, here's a real-life example for ya. I'm burning a tester in my living room right now. It's been lit for about 2-3 hours. I'm in the very back room of the house -- as far away as I can get -- and I can smell that puppy from here. Mission accomplished in terms of hot scent throw.

Now to go check to see if the wick size is way off. lol :D

OK, here's a real-life example for ya. I'm burning a tester in my living room right now. It's been lit for about 2-3 hours. I'm in the very back room of the house -- as far away as I can get -- and I can smell that puppy from here. Mission accomplished in terms of hot scent throw.

Now to go check to see if the wick size is way off. lol :D

Wow! That is mission accomplished! I have not been that good yet :embarasse

I have tried a couple different wicks (zincs and cd's) and haven't noticed much of a difference in ht so I am going to run with the zincs... now I am testing a couple different sizes... and I think the 60z is good.

I have sampled other wicks but keep going back to zincs and cd's. I actually thought I would prefer the cd's but sometimes they give me a "burnt" smell.... if that makes sense. :undecided

Update: My wick size is questionable. After 4 hours, I still didn't have a fmp, although I was close. Slight hangup in the corners. Might catch up along the way when it's further down into the jar, though, so I'll stick with this tester for a few more burns and see.

Happy testing! I think someone once said it *can* be fun ... :tongue2:

Hmmm, fun??? Not a chance, but the house sure does smell good, right?

AJ, your whole-house fillers, are they your paraffin AND your soy candles?

Well remember, I have a *small* house. *blush* But my best throwers tend to be paraffin. :smiley2:

At least the mail delivery lady says my house smells good. LOL

AJ - don't feel bad, my house is smaller - a cottage style built in 1912 - 900 sq ft!!

When I burn candles in the living room - I can't smell squat cause there is a huge A/C vent right in the middle of the room and all the scent just drafts up into that vent but if I have a fan running then it's a whole different ball game. If I go outside for a while then I can smell the scents when I come back in...and when I actually leave the house for a few hours then I can smell the scents when I open the door. So I have two problems - candlenose and circulation issues!!

AJ - don't feel bad, my house is smaller - a cottage style built in 1912 - 900 sq ft!!

When I burn candles in the living room - I can't smell squat cause there is a huge A/C vent right in the middle of the room and all the scent just drafts up into that vent but if I have a fan running then it's a whole different ball game. If I go outside for a while then I can smell the scents when I come back in...and when I actually leave the house for a few hours then I can smell the scents when I open the door. So I have two problems - candlenose and circulation issues!!

My house isn't large either... but I think I have circulation problems as well. The scent seems to linger into one specific corner :confused: haha.. I don't get it at all! But the fireplace sits at an angle in the living room and I use the mantel for my testing "site". Turning the ceiling fan on low seems to help distribute the scent. :)

When hubby got home last night... he could smell the 8oz tester! Which is amazing because his sniffer doesn't work well...... but it was Hansel and Gretel's house.... and it smells yummy.

I am just posting to give all you Great Chandlers...

a consumers prospective...LOL...

I Don't Make candles

But, when I buy them...

My Computer room is 158 inches X 184 inches with a Bay-Window

The 158" is measurering from the inside wall out into the middle of the bay Window (without the Bay-Window the room would be 184" x 136")

And if it fills that up... It's a Buy again in my Book!!!...LOL...

all smells in my house (including dinner) head straight upstairs with all the warm air... So my upstairs hallway lately smells like lilacs and roast beef.

LMAO!!!:laugh2:

I have the same problem...I use my entertainment center in the living room and I can't smell squat in that room, but I can in the dining room, foyer, and upstairs in the hallway!

I am just posting to give all you Great Chandlers...

a consumers prospective...LOL...

I Don't Make candles

But, when I buy them...

My Computer room is 158 inches X 184 inches with a Bay-Window

The 158" is measurering from the inside wall out into the middle of the bay Window (without the Bay-Window the room would be 184" x 136")

And if it fills that up... It's a Buy again in my Book!!!...LOL...

I want to add I have just short of 8ft ceiling