successfully single-wicking palm?

Has anyone done it? I just poured a test candle that I will burn in a week or so (man I hate waiting!!) that is palm, uncolored, 7% fo and 2 3/4 in diameter. I have been using CSN 14's or 16's mostly, but I just can't get a good scent throw and now I'm thinking maybe I'm over wicking? So, I tried it this time with a CSN 12 (like candlescience recommends for this size).

I've got my big candle down (I use two csn 9's) that has a 3 1/4 " diamter, it's just these little ones that are driving me nuts, lol.

Yes, I think to big of a wick will eventually kill the scent throw. In those size jars I use CSN 11's and 12's.(8 oz metro's) Let it sit a few days and don't judge by the 1st burn, give it 3 or 4 burns. With palm you will not get a full melt pool on the 1st burn but as the jar burns it will clean up the glass. For scent throw put them in another room with the door closed, let it get going then walk in the room and see. You could be getting a bad case of candle nose.

I also noticed with these wicks they bend a little and one side of the jar would clean up and the other would have a little hang up on the glass. I remembered that eugenia (I think I have the right person) twists her wicks on pillars a few times to give it an even melt pool. I tried this with the palm wicks and it works wonderfully. One other thing do not try going over the recommended amount of FO. I use Glass Glow and more than 1 oz per lb only gives me a headache, I actually get a better scent throw keeping it at 1 oz per lb than by going more.

hth I haven't dared to try bigger jars yet, I found the smaller ones less trying. (go figure)

Karen B

I single wick all my palm wax candles. I am assuming that you are referring to container palm wax candles. I single wick all of those, too. I use CDNs in all except votives and tea lights (CDs). If you cannot find a single wick that gives you good throw in such small diameter containers, I would suggest trying different FOs. It is possible that that is the source of your difficulty rather than your wicking. More than 1 oz. per pound is a waste of money and will not help with burning/wicking issues! :wink2:

Palm wax tunnels. If you want to leave a thin shell, wick down; if you want the shell to be consumed, wick up slightly so that the hangup recedes during the last half of the burn. It is normal for a palm wax container candle to have hangup during the first two or three burns. Keeping the wick centered is very important. I tried the twisting the wick technique and it DOES help a lot. HTH :D

I single wick all my palm wax candles. I am assuming that you are referring to container palm wax candles. I single wick all of those, too. I use CDNs in all except votives and tea lights (CDs). If you cannot find a single wick that gives you good throw in such small diameter containers, I would suggest trying different FOs. It is possible that that is the source of your difficulty rather than your wicking. More than 1 oz. per pound is a waste of money and will not help with burning/wicking issues! :wink2:

Palm wax tunnels. If you want to leave a thin shell, wick down; if you want the shell to be consumed, wick up slightly so that the hangup recedes during the last half of the burn. It is normal for a palm wax container candle to have hangup during the first two or three burns. Keeping the wick centered is very important. I tried the twisting the wick technique and it DOES help a lot. HTH :D

Stella,

Can you tell me which CD's you use for your votives and tealights in palm?

I've got another pillar made, but I, too, am still having wicking issues. I may break down and get your CDNs before all my hair is torn out. LOL.