Can someone help me with this body butter?

Dana Mae

I would really like to make a body butter. (I'm new to b&b product making).

My goal is to make something I like as well as, or better than, my personal favorite which is by the Body Shop and is Shea Body butter.

THEIR ingredient list is: (gulp)

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii) (Emollient), Cocoa (Theobroma Cacao) Butter (Emollient), Cyclomethicone (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Babassu (Orbignya Oleifera) Oil (Emollient), Beeswax (Emulsifier/Emollient), Lanolin Alcohol (Stabiliser/Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), Methylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Caramel (Colour), F D & C Yellow No 5 (Colour).

I'm sure I can simplify it some with some help......but I want a firm butter like their product if anyone is familiar with it.

Can someone assist me in getting started? Point me to a source of recipes, etc or something?

Much appreciated,

Dana

:D

Dana, I'm not familiar with the bb you mentioned. However, if you want a nice emulsified butter recipe there is one in the recipe section here by cindym. I've been making this one for several months and have subbed out several of the oils to suit my personal tastes.

There are also a couple of recipes for whipped body butter in the recipe section that are very simple.

Lotioncrafter.com has a recipe for what they call Body Butter Bliss that can be found here http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/Formulary-p-10.html

They sell all the ingredients in one Try-it kit, which I did. It was very, very thick, but a little greasy and draggy for my taste (and my husband's) but that may be what you're looking for.

Good luck!

To make body butter like the Body shop is really hard. I have tried numerous recipes and while they are close, they still are a bit different. The closet I have come is using Fusion Magic sold my Kangaroo Blue. It is so simple to use. I use 5% and then use only mango butter. The texture is exactly like the body shop. I did use mango and shea together, but didn't like it as well. I believe Oregon Trails also sells it by the name of Fantasy Cream Maker. Both are emulsifiers that you blend with oil/butters, water, preservative and fragrance. It is very easy to use and very forgiving.

Some people have commented that the butters tend to "pill" over time. I have a butter made from April of this year and there is no pilling at all. It also works in lesser percentages for lotions.

Here is a kangaroo blue link:

http://www.kangarooblue.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=423

Ann M

Give Fusion Magic a try. My only suggestion is to still follow proper lotion making techniques ( heat and hold water to 170 for 20 minutes ), but then allow the water to cool to near 100 before adding the fusion magic and oils/butters. It comes together very smoothly and easily. I do not believe in using the cold fusion method as the bugs still need to be destroyed from the water by heating and holding. I know you will be adding a preservative, but doing everything properly is still needed.

Ann M

Ann,

I appreciate your comments. Candles and soap seem much easier :)

Is there somewhere specific I can go to and read/learn more about making b/b specifically creams/lotions/butters so that I am more familiar with the terms, ingredients and processes?

Thanks

Dana

I actually started with lotions and creams before I started making soap!!! It does take lots of research, but the Fusion Magic is very forgiving. I would read everything you can find. I'm sure that there is load of info on this site on proper lotion making techniques. Here is a link to Snowdrift Farms, they have a pretty good tutorial

http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/lotionmaking101.html

Ann M

Dana...

I'm not really familiar with the BS butter but If you want to dip your toe in the water more gently before getting involved with emulsified recipes and preservatives etc - why don't you try a whipped shea butter?

Soooooooo easy to do and if you don't like the results you can always give it away as someone else probably will... Then tweak a bit more and try again... Whatever you end up with it'll still be good for your skin... And you might trip over a creation of your own that you prefer to the BS one ;)

Try this one if you think you'd like it - and any of the ingredients can be subbed out...

60% Shea Butter, 20% Rice Bran Oil*, 10% Avocado Oil, 7% Jojoba Oil, 2% Skin Safe Fragrance Oil**, 1% Cyclomethicone*** and a good pinch of Cornflour (cornstarch I think you call it).

Heat the Shea double boiler style to 80 deg C and keep it there for 15 minutes or so then pour into a bowl, add the other oils including the cyclo and FO... Stir to incorporate...

Put to one side until it starts to get cloudy and a bit mushy around the edges - like wax if you were going to whip it...

Sprinkle in the cornflour and blitz with a hand held whisk - like mixing a cake batter... Dollop into a container and leave for a few hours to harden up some... Slap on and enjoy...:cheesy2:

* the RBO can be subbed for Olive Oil or any other oil you can get your mitts on to be honest... Apricot Kernel etc...

** Use less if you want and up the RBO by up to 2% to replace it...

*** Not absolutely necessary but it does make a difference...

The Avocado Oil I love - leaves a gorgeous velvety feel on the skin but quite rich so might be too much if you have oily skin... The Cyclo and the Cornflour will make it more velvety and less greasy on the skin...

Whatever you end up with it'll feel nice and be good to your skin - you can make it in small 100g batches to play around with and if you don't like it - raise the oils and drop the shea or vice versa or tweak it around a bit with different oils...