Considering doing a trade show...

cleanglow

but I have some questions.

My husband is very supportive of me with the business. His only concern with doing a trade show is "what if we get an order that we can't handle?" I do love that he's dreaming that big. :smiley2: But has this ever happnened to anyone? It seems like a great way to get exposure and possibly some more wholesale accounts, but I've never done one so I'm not really sure how they work. When orders are placed, do your normal wholesale rules apply? Mine are deliviery within 2-3 weeks, but if there was a very large order it would be held on a case by case basis.

Any advice from those with experience would be greatly appreciated!

Jenn

I just did my first trade show last July. I suppose it all depends on the venue. For me, because I was new, they put me all the way in the back. The only people that actually walked that far back were new and start up businesses that didn't have the money to invest in the product. I suppose if you have low minimums it wouldn't be so bad, but most of them scoffed at my minimums because they had no money. What I've found is that established business that are making money have no problem meeting the minimum order it's only the business that are small/new that have a problem with the minimums. So it all depends on the people who come to visit you I guess, but I never got an order that was too big to handle.

Having a delivery time of 2-3 weeks will not present a problem for most buyers at trade shows. It's not unusual for vendors to tell buyers to allow extra time because they frequently get backlogged with orders during tradeshows, so it's good that you will be able to tell them the anticipated delivery time.

I don't know what wholesale policies you have in place, but generally, buyers pay for things 100% up front unless the vendor offers credit terms. Most vendors commonly offer $150, $300, or $500 minimums and then there are the "big dogs" where you will have to spend $1,000 - $3,000 for minimum orders, but they are not really your competition.

I think it will be important for you to do more than one show, because in the tradeshow business you need to build a reputation (no different than doing craft shows), so that people know to look for you every time they go to the show.

Finally, don't let yourself be intimidated by thinking that you might be overwhelmed with orders. At your first show, people will probably limit their orders to the minimal amount required just because they are not familiar with your product. But as you do more shows and people are used to seeing you and your product then the volume will increase.

I wouldnt be concerned to much with the quantity of just one large order, but rather numerous normal sized wholesale orders. Be prepared to make candles 24 hrs!!!! And for them to want the orders....yesterday.:shocked2:

Numerous regular orders don't scare me though. I already make them pratically 24/7. Last year I had a private label order for the holidays for 1200 candles and I was able to handle it (with my help :smiley2: ). I guess I was just curious to know if it was normal to receive multiple large orders at these shows. You have all eased my mind though.

Thanks for the info everyone. It really helps!