Tarts Crumbling?

I also use 444 and clamshells. I think it is just a quirk of this wax, it is meant for containers and is softer. There may be an additive to put in it to firm it up, but I have never looked into it. I've learned to embrace the quirks of this wax because I like it so much. Although, I have been playing with melts using 474 and mini muffin pan. So far, so good. I'm trying to eliminate the clamshells, you know one less thing to buy.

try lowering your FO load to 7%

It may be that this wax cant hold that high amount of FO load.

According to the GB's website :

"GB 444 has a higher melt point which enables it to retain a higher FO load to give you a stronger scent throw."

Pour Temp: 125-145 deg.

Melt Temp: 120-125 deg.

FO Load: 9%-11%

I've been using this brand of soy wax for the past two years and scenting between 9 and 9.5% on my container candles with no problems. But I've never used it for tarts. Sounds like it could just be characteristic of this particular wax though. I'm just not sure how customers are going to like it :confused:

According to the GB's website :

"GB 444 has a higher melt point which enables it to retain a higher FO load to give you a stronger scent throw."

Pour Temp: 125-145 deg.

Melt Temp: 120-125 deg.

FO Load: 9%-11%

I've been using this brand of soy wax for the past two years and scenting between 9 and 9.5% on my container candles with no problems. But I've never used it for tarts. Sounds like it could just be characteristic of this particular wax though. I'm just not sure how customers are going to like it :confused:

True, it will probably hold 9% without sweating out. Yet when trying to un-mold a container wax brand, it is probably crumbling cause of the high percentage of FO used. The higher the FO used, the softer the wax becomes.

True, it will probably hold 9% without sweating out. Yet when trying to un-mold a container wax brand, it is probably crumbling cause of the high percentage of FO used. The higher the FO used, the softer the wax becomes.

Ah, gotcha. Duh! Well, shoot a duck! I really like how well the tarts are throwing at this FO percentage. I'll try your suggestion of 7% and see how they do. Thanks Carrie.

Ah, gotcha. Duh! Well, shoot a duck! I really like how well the tarts are throwing at this FO percentage. I'll try your suggestion of 7% and see how they do. Thanks Carrie.

if you wanted to invest in an additive that acts as a hardener, you could add some Palm Steric Acid or Beeswax. Or actually maybe add some soy pillar wax

if you wanted to invest in an additive that acts as a hardener, you could add some Palm Steric Acid or Beeswax. Or actually maybe add some soy pillar wax

I've been fiddling around with adding Palm Steric to it for my votives at 1 oz per pound of soy wax. But as of todays test, they are still collapsing. Well, they burn good for about 40 minutes, then they burn a channel straight down the side :( I'm going to up it to 1.5 oz pp of wax and see what happens. I suppose I could do the same with my tarts :confused:

I've been fiddling around with adding Palm Steric to it for my votives at 1 oz per pound of soy wax. But as of todays test, they are still collapsing. Well, they burn good for about 40 minutes, then they burn a channel straight down the side :( I'm going to up it to 1.5 oz pp of wax and see what happens. I suppose I could do the same with my tarts :confused:

your votives will always collapse and melt down the side, thats why its so important to burn them in a snug votive holder. that way when the votive has a blow out, the cup will hold it and it will eventually start to burn like a container candle. You need to burn in a snug holder not a wide holder, that way the diamerter of the holder pretty much the same as the diameter of the votive when burning.

Also, what kind of wick are you using? what size?

img_1444.jpg.w300h225.jpg

your votives will always collapse and melt down the side, thats why its so important to burn them in a snug votive holder. that way when the votive has a blow out, the cup will hold it and it will eventually start to burn like a container candle. You need to burn in a snug holder not a wide holder, that way the diamerter of the holder pretty much the same as the diameter of the votive when burning.

Also, what kind of wick are you using? what size?

img_1444.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Ok, I got an email back from Jason at Golden Brands Foods regarding the tarts and he said, "I would pour the 444 hotter. I would say around 125-145. Jason" :undecided So, I'm not sure if that will make the tarts less brittle/crumbly or not. I guess I could try it.

On the votives, I'm using the following wicks:

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/25-HTP-31-Pre-tabbed-Wicks__W1008.aspx

With the following votive molds:

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Votive-Mold--Standard-15-Hour__M1020.aspx

And GW444 with 1 oz Palm Stearic pp of wax. And I think it was like 8% FO load on these ones. I poured two so I still had one left. I've put it in a snug votive holder and just lit it at 2:54 pm. We shall see what happens.

thanks for all your help Carrie, I really appreciate it. I'm determined to master these tarts and votives :)

Ok, I tried pouring the wax for my tarts hotter as per the rep at GBF. That didn't help and just made for ugly tops :( So, I added stearic at 1 oz/ppw and that helped wonderfully. Yea!!

On the votives, I put the pure soy one in a snug votive holder as per Carrie's instructions. It burned very nicely indeed. :)

I did the same with the one that I had added 1 oz of stearic/ppw and it burned fine for 1/2 and then tunneled fast to the bottom of the votive holder :(

Not the results that I expected at all :confused:

I did the same with the one that I had added 1 oz of stearic/ppw and it burned fine for 1/2 and then tunneled fast to the bottom of the votive holder :(

Not the results that I expected at all :confused:

Perhaps the stearic affected the burn. ;) Try wicking up a notch and see if that helps...