C3 and USA

Hi. Just poured my first C3 (no additives) after reading many back posts concerning soot in wax, cracks, etc. I think the wax is rated for 6% FO and have been told that added USA will let you increase this if needed. It sounds like many get pretty good throws at the 6% but wax wondering if any used the USA to increase load and also if you use the USA, does it make your wickinig sizes go up? If only used for appearance (mine seems to look good, but poured without a wick), do you add the total amount recommended by the USA seller? Any info would be appreciated. TIA. Beth

I dont think USA will allow you to increase the FO load very much, because you use so little.

I add 7% FO load right now in C-3 without additives.

I dont color anymore, so I dont worry about trying to prevent frosting, but when I did color and I did add USA, I only added a tablespoon per lb of wax. I didnt have to wick up when using this small amount and it helped with the frosting when I was selling during the spring.

There's not necessarily a big difference between soys that are "rated" for 6% vs. 9% except how conservative the manufacturer decided to be in its product information. I'd suggest you just try the amount of FO you think is best and don't sweat it unless you actually run into difficulties.

I don't find that USA makes the wax especially harder for the wick to burn. It does make the wax melt a little less easily, but depending on how it shifts the balance of the burn you can sometimes get a larger flame. I think the best answer about having to wick up is that you can't really know until you test it. There are circumstances where I've gotten a better melt pool with it than without it, using the same wick.

USA is no panacea. It can make it possible to pour a little hotter and it helps the candle set up a little less ugly after a burn. You might like the burn better or less well. It tends to increase the tendency of the wax to pull away from the container. If you do use it, you really have to test different amounts to find the result you prefer. The typical 2% recommendation from the suppliers is just a number.