Making sticky or tacky wax

OK, clueless here: why would you want sticky or tacky wax?

There are a lot of ways to use tacky wax. I use it myself for affixing the dried and pressed flowers to the outside of hurricane shells. It works well for sticking flat wax embeds to the outside of pillars or tops on container candles. As well as changing the properties of regular wax if you want to shape it by hand maybe...

There are a lot of ways to use tacky wax. I use it myself for affixing the dried and pressed flowers to the outside of hurricane shells. It works well for sticking flat wax embeds to the outside of pillars or tops on container candles. As well as changing the properties of regular wax if you want to shape it by hand maybe...

Same here, I made several pillar candles and applied wax embeds to them using tacky wax. I just wish I could find the instructions for making it.

SatindDucky, where do you purchase your tacky wax?

Depending on the application you want I find that beeswax works for me. The micro tacky wax that I have from Candlewic isn't being made anymore. I don't know what you can add to a regular paraffin to make it sticky. I am sure there is a way but I don't know. There are other soft micros on the market too. Donita

You are welcome Ducky.......luckily it lasts a long time and I still have a pound left, but as I said....I have been applying flowers with bleached beeswax lately and it works fine. Happy New Year!!!!!!!! Donita

Are u just using bleached beewax or are you adding something to it?

• 13 years later...

Check out this video:

It is a very simple recipe though here it is:

=========================

= DIY Sticky Wax Recipe: =

=========================

Ingredients:

· Bee's Wax (should be about 60% of base mix)

· Pine Rosin (should be about 40% of base mix)

· 0.5~1 Crayon (optional, for color)

Equipment Needed:

· stove range

· pot

· Glass or borosilicate jar or open top container

Note: It must fit in your pot comfortably with at least 1" space on every side

· Stir stick (or mixing utensil of choice). Large craft stick / Tongue Depressor works well

melted and mixed in a double boiler for about 20 minutes.

I just made some up and it looks cool with a small amount of gold mica powder. Liquid Gold!

Edited by B-Dub-Wub