IGI 4749 Votive Blend

I am making tarts and votives tomorrow. I'm using this wax. Do you spray your molds with anything to help them pop out? and how is the scent throw with this wax? I'm excited about working on something besides container candles :D

I cut up 2-8oz of this wax and put it in bags so it's easier instead of chopping it up as I go along. How is the cleeanup of this wax also? Do you have to let it cure before you melt/burn it? Thanks to all!

I spray my votive molds with Pam cooking spray; just a very light coating and I then I swish my finger to smooth it around in the mold after spraying since it doesn't spray evenly (my bottle doesn't anyway). Then after the re-pour has cooled, I put them in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to help them pop out easily.

IGI 4794 has so many fans here, it's got to be a good wax. I use it but I don't have experience with any other votive waxes either, so I can't claim to be an expert. It is what I started with so I stuck with it, and I figure all those other people who also use it can't all be wrong. :D

To break it up, I put slabs of it in the freezer overnight and then use a chisel and hammer to break it up the next day. In a box to catch everything nice and tidily. It breaks up easier when cold like that, and I can easily make bits of it as small as I want.

For curing, I've found the longer it sets, the stronger its throw is. I'm talking 5 weeks or longer, and some say it needs at least 2 weeks. There was a long poll thread on curing recently, so it'll probably pop up if you search.

Darbla

Thank you for responding!! I also have a few more questions for ya.

What temp to you melt it too and add the FO and color? Also, what temp do you pour? Thanks again.

I add dye and then FO at 185 degrees, and stir it all for about 2 minutes. 2 minutes is not a strict time, but a guideline so you know you've stirred enough. By the time I've finished stirring and get to pouring in the votive molds, it's usually around 170-175 degrees. If someone else reading this has a better plan, let's hear it. :)

I started out using 36-24-36 zinc wicks but have found them unsatisfactory with more FOs than they've worked with. The best successes I've had with them were using Peak 'Amish Harvest' and Bramble Berry 'Sunset' and 'Orange Clove' (though with this one I mixed another wax with 4794); those were wonderful, but other FOs have been weak with these wicks. I'm having better luck with 44-36-18, and I'm about to try LX12.