fleece baby blanket help

Lightning Bug

Hi. Was in a fabric store yesterday and found a great piece of fleece on sale. I need a baby gift in march, so decided to use this for a blanket. Somewhere I read that two layers tied together (way I did older grandkids) would be to heavy...so any unique ideas on how to finish the edges on a single layer? TIA. Beth

Hi,

Two ways that I have seen. One use a rotary cutter( the one for quilting not sure if name is right it's late!) with the wavy blade and just cut all sides. Two, cut your strips about one inch in width and then make a tiny cut at the top and pull the strip through, it looks really neat!! Hope this helps!

Valerie

You could use a serger sewing machine to finish the edges. Or a decorative zig zag stitch on a regular sewing machine. Or use pinking shears or a zig zag type rotary cutter since fleece doesn't fray. You could also buy regular quilt binding and sew it on. You could also just make small cuts along the edges to look like fringe.

I've never worked with fleece, so I'm sure others will have some better suggestions for you.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have already started anyway -

but you could crochet a border on. I've seen where they punch holes all along the perimeter of fleece and crochet on a really cute border. I'd bet there's instructions somewhere on the web. Crocheting is a lot easier than knitting (I think!).