advice on prices please!

cybersix

Hi all, I'm squeezing my brain to find a brilliant solution for my 2008 problem!

The fact is: I offer paraffin wax and palm wax. Until two months ago I was paying the same price for the two (a cent more or less). High prices, because 1) I can't source palm wax here and 2) I didn't have a tax ID. So my final candles prices to customers were the same for the two types of wax.

Now I have a tax ID and with it I can buy paraffin for a lot less. But still I can't buy palm wax locally. The last order of palm wax at nuscents brought my total costs sky high. Probably waxes and shipping both rised.

I was happy with the fact I could offer my candles at a low price, because many retailers are a bit disappointed. I can lower paraffin candles, but not palm candles. So I guess I'd have to have two different price lists, and this one thing I don't like very much. How can I justify the difference? Sure palm wax is "precious" lol because there is almost none here. How would you act in this situation? Sorry if it's too long and TIA!

Can you average the costs of both waxes together to get a median price

listing?

I don't think so. I usually do x4 with my cost to get the final price. So I thought to do x4 on paraffin pillars and x3 on palm pillars, but the difference is about $1. Then there is the x2 price for wholesalers.. the palm pillars would cost the same as now without any benefit.

I really don't know what to do to make things simple. I'm also building an online shop and initially the choice between palm and paraffin was just a drop down list, now I should make a different price.. oh I wish I could find palm somewhere near me, I like it so much and people seem impressed with it!

ETA: stupid I am!!! you wre saying to average the cost and maybe yes it can work!!! Sorry I'm slow sometimes!! I'm going to put some numbers in my excel spreadsheet!!

Does one type of candle sell better than the other? If palm out sells paraffin, maybe you should just focus on that and pump what you would have spent on paraffin back into palm. Conversely, if palm isn't a big seller, maybe it's not worth what you're spending on it.

I know it doesn't simplify anything for you, but I have always charged more for palm because it does cost me more and well, it really is more of a pita for me to work with! As far as justifying it... it is more expensive. Period. No one but you knows how much you pay for paraffin or palm and hey, it does look so much more exotic! Get creative, say they were poured with more love than the others lol :smiley2:

Does one type of candle sell better than the other? If palm out sells paraffin, maybe you should just focus on that and pump what you would have spent on paraffin back into palm. Conversely, if palm isn't a big seller, maybe it's not worth what you're spending on it.

good point.

I'm not selling lots for now (here's why I want to make a real online shop also) but I did more palm pillars then paraffin pillars this year. It's not a good start but I'm always at the same point, I sell few candles, get some wholesale request, and sometimes when they have my price lists they say they cost too much to resell to the public. I know my supplies cost me more than the average you pay, but that's the way it is... I learned everything I know here, and I will never switch to local supplies unless I can find the same things!

Oh and I love palm wax as I love paraffin so it's hard for me thinking not to use it anymore!

I know it doesn't simplify anything for you, but I have always charged more for palm because it does cost me more and well, it really is more of a pita for me to work with! As far as justifying it... it is more expensive. Period. No one but you knows how much you pay for paraffin or palm and hey, it does look so much more exotic! Get creative, say they were poured with more love than the others lol :smiley2:

ahaha Coco, great thinking! In fact palm was is rare here, so there would be not need to justify the difference. I could start doing the two prices thing. If people quit to buy palm wax then I have my answer!!

I think I solved the problem. I will not lower prices of paraffin candles LOL!! Just heard on TV that petroleum today was $100/barrel, so.... why lower now to rise again on the next order I will place with my supplier???:rolleyes2

can you tell I'm desperate LOL!!

I guess the way I look at it is that palm is a specialty wax, to me. Market or list them as such and that justifies the price difference if you end up with two lists.

Whether it's better or not, you can create the perception that it's a more valuable item and prices are just about perceived and accepted values, after all.

I don't see where charging two difference prices for two different types of candles would be a problem. YOU have to pay different prices for the waxes. Maybe explain to your customers the difference such as a speciality wax with a unique look and how you have to pay more for it.

To me it's like paying differently for glass versus crystal. They are both pretty, shiny, clear and break. But lets face it, crystal is more expensive.

uhmmm thanks to everyone.

Yes palm wax is different, I'm not able to do good writing but that's what I think I will end doing, let people know that is really a different product.

Now back to zencart, and I'll try to add the different prices, I still don't know how!!

thanks!

Cyber, I honestly wouldn't even worry about justifying the price difference unless you are asked. Think about it.. when was the last time you were shopping online and there was a written explanation as to why one product was more expensive than the other? I think you are worrying about it too much :). People will usually just naturally assume that higher cost= higher quality item (I know I do)!

Cyber, I honestly wouldn't even worry about justifying the price difference unless you are asked. Think about it.. when was the last time you were shopping online and there was a written explanation as to why one product was more expensive than the other? I think you are worrying about it too much :). People will usually just naturally assume that higher cost= higher quality item (I know I do)!

Hi Coco, thanks, infact I just uploaded two different price lists. Then, in the page of palm wax candles, I added something about the uniqueness of this wax, including that comes for far countries. Thanks a lot!!!

Woo hoo! Did you also say they were poured with more love than the paraffin? :tongue2: Nevermind, don't do that! I think I'm going to go with that for my own new marketing technique! Good luck with the 2008 sales!

Woo hoo! Did you also say they were poured with more love than the paraffin? :tongue2: Nevermind, don't do that! I think I'm going to go with that for my own new marketing technique! Good luck with the 2008 sales!

:laugh2: I wrote I kiss every palm pillar!!

Good luck to you, and thanks for "defending" me in the other thread. :)