Photo Light Tent/Box

Holly

I am searching for a Photo Light Tent (the studio package) and have found some options so far. For those of you who use the light tents, which one is the best....the one that has an open front or the ones that have a front that has a slit for the camera (the front to these can usually be removed)? Is the slit necessary for quality pictures? I would think that it would cause you to have to be too close to the items. Does anyone have any input? Thanks. :)

http://www.glacierwind.ca/frame.jpg

I built one out of 3/4" pvc underground sprinkler pipe....I think I have no more that C$40.00 in it...

If you want it a little sturdier you can use schedule 40 pvc (water lines)...I used an elbow and a tee to make most of the connections...The 2 front bottom corners are just elbows....

I would have 3 way connectors but they were not easy to come by in my area... http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/pvc.shtml

Mine is about 18" square and I did not glue it....If you make extra cross members you can make your box wider....So i can take it apart to store it or make it bigger if needed...I guess guess you could glue all the joints except where the cross members attatch and it would still come apart for storage...

I just draped it with white broadcloth and bought 2 goose neck table lamps and used 26w compact fluorescent (6500k) bulbs....You can get higher wattage bulbs if you can find them...

I am still playing with my camera settings....You need to adjust white balance manually for best results....Do a Google search for Ebay photo tips and you will find lots of hints...

Good luck....

Thanks Royster, for the informational response. :) I am a little limited on time, so most likely I will end up buying one. I will make a note of the links you gave. Thanks again.

http://www.glacierwind.ca/frame.jpg

I built one out of 3/4" pvc underground sprinkler pipe....I think I have no more that C$40.00 in it...

If you want it a little sturdier you can use schedule 40 pvc (water lines)...I used an elbow and a tee to make most of the connections...The 2 front bottom corners are just elbows....

I would have 3 way connectors but they were not easy to come by in my area... http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/pvc.shtml

Mine is about 18" square and I did not glue it....If you make extra cross members you can make your box wider....So i can take it apart to store it or make it bigger if needed...I guess guess you could glue all the joints except where the cross members attatch and it would still come apart for storage...

I just draped it with white broadcloth and bought 2 goose neck table lamps and used 26w compact fluorescent (6500k) bulbs....You can get higher wattage bulbs if you can find them...

I am still playing with my camera settings....You need to adjust white balance manually for best results....Do a Google search for Ebay photo tips and you will find lots of hints...

Good luck....

I got one a couple yrs. ago from amazon.com called photo studio in a box and we like it , it folds up portable, has a carrying case 2 lights, and a stand for my camera, I ordered it from amazon and it came very quickly in like 2 days easy to use.

Janis

I got one a couple yrs. ago from amazon.com called photo studio in a box and we like it , it folds up portable, has a carrying case 2 lights, and a stand for my camera, I ordered it from amazon and it came very quickly in like 2 days easy to use.

Janis

Thanks Janis, :)

I think I did check there. I will check on Amazon's site again and compare them to the one I posted a link for in my above post.

Have you tried the photography department at Walmart. They are like $50 and you would have that instantly. The one on ebay looks very similar to the one at walmart.

Hi, Thanks. I haven't looked there yet other than Walmart online and I could not see the right one or one that is in stock in stores. I may take a look again on Walmart online and then look tomorrow at our local store, and if I can find it there, I will most likely get the Ebay one. Thanks for the Walmart encouragement. :)

P.S. I just looked again on Walmart online and the one that is comparable is out of stock online. They may have it in the store. I just have not gotten over to Walmart to look yet since I have been looking into photo tents. I will be over near Walmart tomorrow but not sure if I will have time to stop between other things and getting kids off the bus. I will see. Thanks again. :)

I took a clear rubbermaid tote from Wal-Mart (so you can see through it with the lighting), added a sheet and three 5 dollar desklamps with the "reveal" light bulbs.

Total cost was around 20 bucks and the stuff is multi-purpose.

I back light with one of the lamps, and the clear part of the tote makes this bright, and then two lamps, one on each side. You can also use a white 50 cent posterboard and curl that inside as well (or any other color).

I'm all about the cheapness for that kind of stuff. :D

Thanks for the Walmart encouragement. :)

Hah, I hate Walmart but there are somethings that you just can't get anywhere else locally. We will go to every other store in our city to find what we need if it saves us a trip to Walmart. Either way, I hope you find something that works and something you will enjo working with.