Which butters and luxury oils work in CP?

topofmurrayhill

This came up recently, as it often does, and I thought it might merit it's own thread.

I think many would agree that you can make great soap from the staple oils and expensive luxury oils are often a waste in CP because their special qualities are mostly lost in the process. So what butters and luxury oils do you think add some noticeable good quality to CP soap and are worth using?

I'll start off with a few.

YES: babassu, cocoa butter

NO: avocado

DON'T KNOW: apricot kernel, sweet almond, shea butter

YES: shea

NO: emu

DON'T KNOW: "kernels"

- I use shea in soap quite a bit and like it better than cocoa butter. It doesn't make the soap move as fast and I get good lather and mild soap.

- Emu is drying in my experience and I don't think it's terribly stable. Actually the concept of emu still makes me think of giant chickens...

- I use apricot and peach kernel oils interchangeably and they are in my favorite recipe. I do NOT know if they could be swapped with something else for the same result but I love that soap...

Butters:

Shea

Mango

Illipi

Kokum

Hempseed

Olive

Oils:

Rice Bran

Apricot Kernal

Cherry Kernal

Grapeseed

Sunflower

Jojoba

Hemp

Olive

Sesame

Babassu

My theory is~ if you are going to try and superfat with really spendy oils, you should do HP and add them after the cook. Same goes with three step lotion making. These do not hold their properties well after heat, IMO. I have a few I've tried that do not CP well, as in~ giving any notable "quality" to the finished product using the CP method.

Monoi de Tahiti

Borage

Emu [i totally agree CB~ yuk]

Olive Squalene

Evening Primrose

Also, not a fan of Cocoa butter in any recipes. Big pore clogger.

YES Butters:

Shea

Cocoa

Mango

YES Oils:

Mango Oil (strikingly the same numbers *almost* as Mango Butter)

Apricot Kernel

Safflower

Sunflower

Cherry Kernel

Avocado

I've used these oils as my "conditioning" oils. An addition of 5-10% in a recipe makes a wonderful, conditioning bar.

Don't know:

Wheat Germ

Tamanu

Macadamia

Hazelnut

I like avocado at 10%.

Hi E. A lot of this is subjective, or at least it would take a panel of testers to sort it out objectively.

My "no" on avocado was based on trying it at a high %. Soaped fine, but compared to say the same amount of olive oil the soap was softer and had no special good quality that stood out for me. It was actually one of my less favored soaps.

Hard to say sometimes how an oil affects a recipe. Maybe adding it is intrinsically good or maybe it just balances out something else.

I made one of my recipes and swapped in avocado for, I think, canola and found it more drying than the canola.

On the other hand even without huge superfats, in a well balanced recipe I can easily tolerate huge levels of coconut oil, so perhaps I'm just different.

I love soap with avocado oil. Next favorite would be macadamia. But my fav all time bar of soap was made with mink oil. I personally didn't make it but I received it from a friend and I sure hoard that bar, its by far the best bar of soap I've ever tried.

According to Wikipedia, mac oil is a good sub for mink oil and actually has a higher percentage of palmitoleic acid than mink oil. And the minks like it better, too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mink_oil

It is true that you will not get the same properties from using oils in CP verses applying them on your skin like a lotion, because the properties change when added in CP and you can’t get any of the essential vitamin or healing properties out of them in soap. But they do add different properties in CP, such as more creaminess, or lather or silkiness or moisturizing.

For me, I notice an extra silkiness from adding Castor, and I notice more moisturizing and creaminess when adding Shea butter.

other oils may take away from the foaming lather, like the heavier oils, but lighter oils like sweet almond and sunflower, i dont notice less lather.

for me I get less foamy lather when i add kokum or cocoa butters