Florals

TxSioux

I'm generally pretty good at picking out the notes of most fo's, but a recent serious run of testing has left me stumped by florals. I can pick up very subtle differences, but for the most part, I've found: Jasmine smells like Hyacinth ... that smells like Gardenia ... that smells like Bluebonnet ... that smells like French Market ...

Here's what I'm left with:

1) I'm not a fan of the florals & woof, all these suckers throw off the charts.

2) For some reason, I do love Plumeria, like Juniper Breeze, can live w/ Freesia, but hate Rose & Lavender. At least all of these have an individual scent that stands apart from the others.

3) Everything else just smells like some kind of combined nasal attack of the mutant flowers!

Am I just receptor deficient w/ florals, or does anyone else notice this universal scent w/ many florals??

Susan.

It's probably your sniffer and/or your FO's, cause there sure is a difference in my florals. The floral FO's that I've used for years all are true to the flower, no hidden notes or sameness to each other in any of them.

You many not have a deficient sniffer, maybe what you have is a super sensitive sniffer!

It is quite possible that some of the same chemical components they use to make one floral scent may also be used to make another, so your nose may actually be picking up on that particular chemical.

Then again, what one supplier calls French Market, another might call Bluebonnet, so who knows.

I've gathered from talking with others around me that my nose is more sensitive than theirs, and most florals smell fake and cloying to me. I like really good plumeria, jasmine, heather, and honeysuckle and that's about it. I loooove rose but have been scared off from buying any FOs because I'm convinced it's going to be a waste of money.

No, several different suppliers & all are in the higher price range. Don't get me wrong, they smell & sell great, so I'm sure it's just me. There's just something about a lot of them that has a sameness to me. I also think this when I smell other finished candles. I guess I'm just not a floral person. BTW, Darbla -- if you're ever ordering from BC, try the Voodoo Love. I rename it Yellow Rose of Tx, cause it smells dead on. Gives me a massive headache, but sells like crazy!

Susan.