IDDDSO Candle Jar Tie Ideas

candlelady

Hi!

I probably didn't make any sense in this Title, but here's what I am looking for:

I have always tied a homespun tie around the neck of my candle jars. I purchase fabric and cut with pinking shears, etc..

My mom, who has been ribboning my candles for years, has arthritis now and I'm having symptoms of carpal tunnel (spelling?), so we are basically out of the ribbon cutting business. LOL I am looking for an alternate item to tie around the jar neck.

Currently, I am using the stretchy cords with loop bows, but it's just too plain, too thin and blah. I was thinking about something like what little girls have to tie up their ponytails with. You know the thicker elastic circles with the cutesy little dangly things (I only have boys, so pls. excuse the wording), or something around that line. I do not want something that I have to cut and do alot of manipulating to work.

Oh, I don't need a hang tag because I do have labels on the jars. I am using the 8 oz and 16 oz square mason jars with rust lids so I'm looking for something country in look.:grin2:

Any ideas would be wondrful!

Thanks!

Crrie

If you're dealing with arthritis and carpal tunnel, I don't know if this will help or not, but have you tried a rotary cutter? There isn't a lot of finger movement needed with that--just hold the handle and roll. You could also try to find a pair of electric shears.

This isn't prim, but the other thing I can think of would be to visit the trim section in the fabric dept and see what they've got hanging off of ribbon. I know it's pretty easy to find crystals and beads, so all you would have to do is cut it to length and apply a dab of glue. Other than that, would it be too much trouble to take some of your prim ribbon, criss-cross it and glue a button in the center of it? There's plenty of stock ribbon you can buy that doesn't require anything but one snip of the scissors.

Instead of the stretchy cord could you go with a natural jute? It's very inexpensive and comes in different thicknesses, and would probably go better with the look of your candles than the stretch cord.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz652/01/

I would buy either the jute as mentioned, raffia or the checkered ribbons (which are avail in a lot of colors) and then just tie a double knot and leave some hanging. This way you are only making a snip for each ribbon or cord and the knot is much easier than a bow. I like the look of it with a hang tag, but you could certainly add some beads or charms to give it a dressed up country look.

Everyone's ideas have been so great! I actually forgot about the cloth ribbon with beads/shells hanging from it. I did see those at a fabric store I went to last year.

The twine idea sounds good, but I was thinking of maybe adding to that idea a rusty tin star that has a hole in it for stringing the twine thru. Anybody have a good supplier (wholesale) for the stars? I'm thiking about a 1-1/2" rusty tin star.

Anybody help me with this one?

I've been all over the web, but finding this hasn't been easy! And the ones that I did find were $3.75 for 12 (ah, no!).

Thanks everyone, again!

Carrie