I turned a profit last year!!!

asheebeans

Congratulations, Asheebeans!

Thanks for the thread. I bookmarked it to show my husband. I, of course understandably, took a loss my first year and he is gripping to high heaven and wants me to quit!

December and January of this year were the first months I didn't have to buy more product. I just put the money back toward my start up.

That is some progress, IMO. He just can't see it! Arghhhh!

I started selling the last half of 2006. I am dreading and procrastinating taking my tax info to my accountant this year. He really ticked me off last year (for 2006). I was asking him about estimated taxes, FICA, etc. and he said he would look at that for 2007. Then what he said that really ticked me off was, "if you don't show some profit for next year, then you'd better find another business." I was explaining to him about costs of testing candles, etc. and he said, "why do you have to do all that, why don't you just make them and sell them, why do you have to waste anything?" Little does he or most people who've never made candles know, or will never understand until they do it themselves (if they make quality candles, etc.)

I chose him because he has been several other family member's accountant for years.............wish I had chosen someone else. I didn't know he was such a smartace. I'm still comtemplating getting someone else to do them this year. Anyway, what is considered a reasonable length of time (for IRS), for a new candle business to show a profit? I know many people who start other businesses who've said it took them 2 or 3 years to show a profit.

Is the candle business supposed to be any different, or does IRS expect more from us?

I started selling the last half of 2006. I am dreading and procrastinating taking my tax info to my accountant this year. He really ticked me off last year (for 2006). I was asking him about estimated taxes, FICA, etc. and he said he would look at that for 2007. Then what he said that really ticked me off was, "if you don't show some profit for next year, then you'd better find another business." I was explaining to him about costs of testing candles, etc. and he said, "why do you have to do all that, why don't you just make them and sell them, why do you have to waste anything?" Little does he or most people who've never made candles know, or will never understand until they do it themselves (if they make quality candles, etc.)

I chose him because he has been several other family member's accountant for years.............wish I had chosen someone else. I didn't know he was such a smartace. I'm still comtemplating getting someone else to do them this year. Anyway, what is considered a reasonable length of time (for IRS), for a new candle business to show a profit? I know many people who start other businesses who've said it took them 2 or 3 years to show a profit.

Is the candle business supposed to be any different, or does IRS expect more from us?

I've always understood that showing a loss for two or three years was normal.