Opinions on this 'blog' review practice?

ah-soy

While surfing for product reviews, I've come across many bloggers/review sites. Some of the sites simply review products (without saying how they obtained them), some obviously are using text from press releases, and others solicit companies to send them products if they would like them reviewed. A couple of these sites state that unfortunately they 'cannot afford to purchase' dozens of products for review purposes. One blogger runs contests for the 'best' whether it be lip balm, cream, body butter etc. and states how many companies sent in products for reviews.

I suppose it could be a good way to advertise, if you get a good review, but have a problem with those that solicit products rather than purchasing them, or at least buying small samples.

Just wondering if anyone has ever sent a product (free or purchased) to a blogger and what opinions are on those that ask for a free product to review??? Sounds fishy to me!

It depends on the person asking. If someone I had no clue about randomly e-mailed me and asked for a sample, I'd be leery. But I've sent samples to Kim (who does the Little Black Boxes) and Liz (of Wickedly Chic) for reviews, and I've gotten some business from it. So if it's someone who's established in the e-tailer world in some form or fashion, I don't mind sending samples for free. But if it's just someone with a blog, I'd think they were just trying to score free stuff. Now if I came across their blog and wanted to offer samples to them after seeing their site, that would be a whole different story. But if they were the ones to initiate, my instinct would be to say no.

It's pretty much the same concept as those ad pack fillers where you send out as many as 500 sampler fillers to people that are participating at a fair/show. And even those box promotions as mentioned earlier. Except with the bloggers you only need to send one item instead of many.

Many use it as a form of advertisement especially if the blogger's blog is a popular one. And it really isn't breaking your bank unless you are sending out tons to different review sites. Pick and choose. You pick a popular blogger to get your product reviewed you are out what, $20 bucks, if that, for advertising. And if that one product review nets you a handful of orders that you normally didn't have then you made your $20 back and then some.

Angi

Why should a person pay you (not you personally) for the "honor" of reviewing your product so that you can get free advertising and potentially multiple sales as a result? If someone has to pay for a product to review, you can believe they are likely to be more critical of the product than if it were free.

On the other hand, why shouldn't they pay you for it? Afterall, they can potentially make money from any ads that appear on their site and the number of clicks they get. Without your product, what have they got?

If you don't trust a site, why not ask how many visits to their site they get, or ask for references. If they can't supply that info, then I wouldn't trust them either.