Does anyone know a chemist?

topofmurrayhill

I have a pretty simple question but the answer seems hard to find.

There are lots of explanations and even animations on the web that explain the saponification reaction for triglycerides, resulting in three soap molecules and a glycerin molecule. It's basically very easy to understand.

Now, triglycerides are fats. Three fatty acid chains attached by a glycerol backbone. When your palm oil fractionates in a cool room, the solid stuff is mostly palmitic and stearic acid in the form of a fat or triglyceride (palm stearin). The liquid stuff is mainly oleic acid triglyceride (palm olein).

However, you can also have fatty acids as individual molecules instead of combined into triglycerides. That's called a free fatty acid and it's what you get for instance when you buy stearic acid. Free fatty acids can be saponified too and in fact we occasionally talk about using stearic acid in soaping.

What I'm looking for is an explanation of how the saponification reaction works with free fatty acids vs. triglycerides and how it differs.

Thanks very much Jeff, but I just got the answer.

The free fatty acid has a hydrogen atom where it would usually (in nature) be attached to the glycerol backbone. It loses the hydrogen to become a sodium (or potassium) salt and the H+ and the OH- (from the caustic) combine to form water.

When you use free fatty acids like stearic, that portion of your recipe is forming soap & water rather than soap & glycerin when it's saponified.

Top..is that good or bad..to form soap and water, rather than soap and glycerin???

I wouldn't call it good or bad. Whether it matters depends on what you're doing. Under some circumstances you might just need to know.

The only relevant thing I've seen come up around here is adding stearic acid to harden the bar. In the case of a few percent I don't suppose it would be a significant consideration.