Repouring... Is it really needed?

To Repour... or Not To Repour.... That Is The Question!  

39 members have voted

1. 1. To Repour... or Not To Repour.... That Is The Question!

• I always repour!
    • Why bother!

The hubby and I are going to attempt our first real batch this week, but I wanted to throw out a question to everyone.

I made a few candles earlier this week, and have boughten many like this before.... non-repoured.

I personally like the sunk in effect of the candles, especially votives... but is there really any difference with repouring your candles, other than spending more time, money, and energy?

With votives, I don't see much difference between the two.

What are your opinions?

Whether or not it's a necessity is not really a yes or no question, there are too many variables...

Pillars, yes, they need it, but I'm guessing you're referring to containers and votives. My votives are made with a pillar wax, so yes, it's a must. It sinks about an inch and a half. Containers, it depends on whether or not you're using a one pour wax and how deep the container is. If it's a one pour and just has a slight concave, no, it's not a necessity, but many people prefer the looks of a flat top. My wax is not single pour, so I usually do have to repour. Unless it's like a 4 oz tin. They're shallow and don't sink much especially if I pour cool.

If there's a sink hole or the concave is more than 1/4", then I'd say yes, repouring is a must, just because the flame is liable to drown out. A shallow concave, then it's a matter of preference to the looks, but not a necessity.

JMO :)

We'll be doing jars and votives this week.

Yes, everything will be properly tested prior to any shipments being sent out. Nothing worries me more than having a faulty candle. I have had some bad experiences with some cheapo candles in the past, and would never want to ruin my reputation in the business world by selling a product that wasn't 100% safe!

Jars I most likely repour. As for votives... I REALLY like the sunk in effect. I have a lot of votives around the house that I never burn, so the extra lil bit of "umph" (haha) would look nice. :P

OH... and thanks for the kind words about the site. It is just a prototype for the moment, and will improve with age like a fine wine! I've been a web/graphic designer for over 10 yrs. I absolutely love letting my creative juices flow!

Tristan

Oversoyed, What are you testing for the first time?

Containers and votives???

Have you tested all you soy candles in the jars on your site before you start selling?

BTW- Nice website!!:cool2:

ETS: I always do a repour for my containers.

Like SatinDucky said it all boils down to personal preference. I hate the sunken look, it think it looks very messy, especially on votives. I make sure all my candles have nice straight, smooth tops! :cool2:

The hubby and I are going to attempt our first real batch this week, but I wanted to throw out a question to everyone.

I made a few candles earlier this week, and have boughten many like this before.... non-repoured.

I personally like the sunk in effect of the candles, especially votives... but is there really any difference with repouring your candles, other than spending more time, money, and energy?

What are your opinions?

I usually don't get into things like this but I can't just sit here and not say anything.:undecided You are just starting to test yet you have a website and pretty much everything is OOS. I think, & this is just my opinion, you are putting the cart before the horse. You need to slow down. Do your testing, be confident that you have a safe & fantastic candle then offer it to the general public. God help you & anyone who buys these. I'm sorry if this sounds mean, etc. but as others have said before, this is not something to just throw out there. You & your customers are playing with fire.

As for repouring, yes I do I think it gives a nice look having a smooth top on the candles.

I said NO because I will NOT repour....BUT my wax does NOT require a repour either.

If I was using a wax that requied a repour then I WOULD repour. I like a finished look and votives without a repour just look unfinished to me.

A comment on the business side....I did not look at the web site BUT I believe she said it was a prototype and she is a web page designer....but I take it she is NOT selling yet??....

tootie

oh, dear...who is this person who claims to make soy candles, has pictures of parafin votives and Archipelago Botanical Scented Reed Diffusers and copied their "why soy" from some other website....I'm not sure which because when I googled "Scented soy candles distribute more flavour - The incorporation of soybean oil lowers the melting point of the" I got about 8 websites with the same sentance....so much for creative flair. :undecided

Yes, I repour...presentation says alot.

oh, dear...who is this person who claims to make soy candles, has pictures of parafin votives and Archipelago Botanical Scented Reed Diffusers and copied their "why soy" from some other website....I'm not sure which because when I googled "Scented soy candles distribute more flavour - The incorporation of soybean oil lowers the melting point of the" I got about 8 websites with the same sentance....so much for creative flair. :undecided

easy, now... people will begin to think that I have two sign in names...

and yes, it's a he... for reference, see the 'about us' page

Go to any soy website, and the why soys are basically the same.

As I stated before, I will NOT sell any candles until they are tested.

I usually don't get into things like this but I can't just sit here and not say anything.:undecided You are just starting to test yet you have a website and pretty much everything is OOS. I think, & this is just my opinion, you are putting the cart before the horse. You need to slow down. Do your testing, be confident that you have a safe & fantastic candle then offer it to the general public. God help you & anyone who buys these. I'm sorry if this sounds mean, etc. but as others have said before, this is not something to just throw out there. You & your customers are playing with fire.

As for repouring, yes I do I think it gives a nice look having a smooth top on the candles.

HE :angry2:

I said NO because I will NOT repour....BUT my wax does NOT require a repour either.

If I was using a wax that requied a repour then I WOULD repour. I like a finished look and votives without a repour just look unfinished to me.

A comment on the business side....I did not look at the web site BUT I believe she said it was a prototype and she is a web page designer....but I take it she is NOT selling yet??....

tootie

Not mad at all... LOL... unfortunately.... times haven't completely changed! :tongue2:

It's like the old add-age.... A father and his son were in a car accident. The father died. The son was taken to the hospital. The doctor came in and said: I can't do surgery on him, because he's my son. Who was the doctor?

sugar, you can't get mad at anyone for assuming that you are female. When you say things like 'the hubby and I boughten', what's one to think? Most don't assume that it's two men.

That's totally fine... just posing an observation.

I've been browsing the forum for months and months now, and I realize that it is an honored craft, that takes time, patience, and creativity, and I admire you all for such.

Just because my site is in place, doesn't mean I am going to start accepting orders. I haven't begun marketing for the site yet, and have yet to submit the site for search engines.

I know the severity of having a quality product before entering the market place, and I believe I said many times, I will not sell until everything is 100%

On a side note... one thing that I love about this forum is the fact that everyone for the most part is very uplifting towards others work. However, I've noticed in recent days for some reason, a lot of people are too quick to judge, especially with the newbies. It's almost as if saying... "we've been doing this for a lot longer than you have, don't even try to think you are better!" It tends to make people standoffish towards trying the craft out.

and THIS is why we set ourselves apart as chandlers.... we take the extra time to perfect things...

What are your opinions?

Looking at your site, it became obvious to me you are a man with a hubby. People hate that stuffed down their throat. You may reconsider the fact no one cares about your sexual orientation and could prove a turn off to many people by mere mention. JMO.

:) :) :)