Dye Issue Question

Guest LightofDawn

Guest LightofDawn

Need a little input. The candle below is made with Naturewax C3, Sweet Pea FO and 1/2 Reddig Glo Fuschia Dye Chip. All of the color has been drawn to the top of the candle. This started happening after the first burn and progressively got worse the closer it got to the bottom.

Any ideas as to why this happened.

Thanks

Dawn

post-7765-13945844748_thumb.jpg

Guest LightofDawn
I'm surprised someone else hasn't jumped in here.

Me too, I was really starting to get a complex. LOL

I use dye chips all the time and this is the first time I experienced this. This is also the first time that I have used the color fuschia and I only used a half of a chip because I was trying to get more of a light pink color.

I have this candle burning right now in the bathroom and there is almost no color left at all now.

I had something like this happen to me too, and it was with the chips. I use a LOT of chips, but there was only one color I had this problem with. It was years ago, so I don't remember the details, but I'm thinking it was the fuschia, since I never used it again. I thought it was me, cause I never saw anyone post about it, and it was when I first started to make candles, so I blamed most everything that went wrong on "me" :laugh2: .

Not positive of the wax, since I tried many, but I started with IGI 2243, so I think that's the wax I was using. Wish I had a better explanation for you.

I am of no help here since I do not use the chips but, on another board someone else had the same problem with hot pink / fuchsia. I am not positive if it was chips, blocks or liquid but others did chime in with similar problems. Maybe a tad of red would be better, that is what I use and never any issues there.HTHs some.

I just finished burning a container candle that was originally orange all over however it ended up with a top that was caramel after I had initially burned it. It stayed that way til the bietter end. Just turned caramel where the melt pool was.

I thought it was how the heat of burning had effected the original colour? Perhaps that's what is happening to you?

just my two cents but I believe it's the fuchsia dye.

I have one old fuchsia dye block. it seems that most of the dye "migrated" in some spots of the block.

Also, when I use it to dye wax (until now it was in paraffin) I have the habit to pick a bit of molten wax and put it on a white plate to see the color when it's cooled. Well, I can't see any fuchsia until the wax has fully cooled down. Many times this lead me to add more dye, just to look at my cooled drops on plate and discover the wax was already too colored!

Guest LightofDawn

Thanks for all the replies, I am relieved that I am not the only one that had this problem with this color.

Originally,I was using 2 of the pale pink chips but thought I could cut down the cost a tad and create a slightly darker shade of pink if I used 1/2 of a fuschia chip. Oh well back to plan A or maybe try using just a little red.