Recycling "old" fo's?

leisa2003

I would throw them away if they are bad. Now, some of your older oils that are still good, you can make firestarters with them.

I shouldn"t said "bad" as in BAD!!!!..:embarasse

I meant,..the ones that are just out-dated.

I seen where some use as "sink refreshers". I have some that I just wont make a candle out of anymore for customers, do to being past the shelf life, but would for self-use.

If you can't tell a difference in the scent, it shouldn't make any difference at all in your product. The expiration date is a good way for suppliers to make extra money--assuming people like you will toss the product and buy more if it has an old date on it.

Thank you for this info. I have some that are a couple years old that smell fabulous. Some have changed colors a bit (gotten a little darker) but I made tarts with them and they smell exactly as they should.

While putting away some fragrances yesterday, I pulled a bottle off the shelf that I had ordered in May 1999 with the intention of throwing it away. I opened the bottle and the scent still smelled great! It's a fragrance that I always liked but never sold for me, so next time I'm pouring, I plan to try out a few candles for myself in that FO, but I really have no doubts about it still being good since it smells so good in the bottle.

This was from "the good old days" when Missy's was a wonderful supplier of strong FOs!

Jane

While putting away some fragrances yesterday, I pulled a bottle off the shelf that I had ordered in May 1999 with the intention of throwing it away. I opened the bottle and the scent still smelled great! It's a fragrance that I always liked but never sold for me, so next time I'm pouring, I plan to try out a few candles for myself in that FO, but I really have no doubts about it still being good since it smells so good in the bottle.

This was from "the good old days" when Missy's was a wonderful supplier of strong FOs!

Jane

1999 is old, but it doesn't begin to compare to these:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=88333&page=1

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/070329-oldest-perfumes.html

I was thinking the same. If it still smells the same I use it. If its turned I throw out.

Exactly :) . And if you have some FOs that are older but still smell fresh, and you know you're not going to get to them, heck, sell them here, or on ebay! I've only had a few one ouncers go bad (plactic-y, chemically smelling)~~I just threw them out.

I always have an Annual Candle Sale in the Spring and in the fall (This year will be my 5th year) I have at least 200 or so people come to my shop and shop, big time, offer 2 candle/B&B gifts baskets in the drawing, as long as you purchase $40 or more in product....I take those FO's that I am no longer using (they are not bad, but maybe 1 yr old) pour into my jars that I decided not to use any longer, and clearance them all! I try to get my cost plus $2 or so......everyone loves a cheap great candle!

My sale is 10/18 and I'm pouring like there is no tomorrow! LOL

Make 'em perty and sell 'em! Also taking them to a show on 10/31 & 11/01.

I love the "stackin them deep and sellin 'em cheap!" And still make $$ to boot!

C