Fundraiser info

LynnS

I just received a e-mail for a fundraiser in the same state but a distance. I know I do have to raise my prices since they are low for my area. I will them tell that and I have all my info for contract, order forms etc.Just wonder about shipping.It just seems to me that when we do charge for that it takes a hunk out of the profit for both of us.I see free shipping but I really don't think I can do that UNLESS a huge fundraiser and then maybe 1/2. Since it is in my state thought about meeting 1/2 way too.

What do most of you do for shipping?? I do believe it will be small group.It is a animal welfare group and most of the time they are small but it is a big town. Need to find out how they want to do the fundraiser. Buy wholesale and re-sell(that is a risk if you dont sell) or take orders.

OMG I have to charge tax too. RIGHT????

LynnS

First Tax it is the group you do the fundraiser for that charges and remits the tax. You need to inform them of that most states have a special licenses just for these cases.

Taking order is the best way with small groups as you are right excess product is a problem with wholesaling to them.

Shipping what about passing the cost to the consumer say a flat shipping fee of $5 per order and then you deliver to the group to hand out. If it is all shipped to one place the flat rate should cover the shipping cost. It might even put a little more in the pocket of the group.

I wondered about doing that for shipping. A flat rate. This is the same state so shouldn't be alot for shipping as out of state. I could call UPS and others to get a idea on that cost.I did that this week for a possible wholesale.

What about the tax??? I wonder if the group could charge the person purchasing the candles for the tax fee. Usually 7% in most areas in Ohio. Not alot and the people would have to pay tax if buying in a store.That might be a idea to suggest to them.THe group does need to make a profit and I think they are small.

LynnS

Are they a registered non-for-profit group? If so, they should have a tax exempt number and copy of their certificate for you so they don't have to pay tax. If they aren't registered, you can still offer them wholesale prices, but you will have to collect tax from them on what they buy from you. However they handle sales tax on what they sell is their problem, and not your responsibility.

For shipping, my supplier offers a discount based on the dollar amount I purchase, so that if I make a large enough purchase shipping was almost free, which is a good incentive to buy a lot.

When you re-price your candles, examine the costs in making them. How much profit do you make off of each candle? How much does each candle weigh? How much would it cost to ship 25, 50, 100? How much does that equal per candle? Simply add that amount to the cost of each candle and boom, you've got "free shipping" if they purchase in quantities of 25, 50, or 100. If you factor in the cost of shipping you will always keep your profit and the customer thinks, yippee, I'm getting free shipping.

I'm guessing your customer has already seen your prices, so raising them right now probably isn't a good thing, but you could still offer a discount on shipping. Just keep tabs on what you're willing to lose from your profit in order to gain sales, after all, a little profit is better than no profit; but don't feel obligated to offer free shipping, because it wasn't factored into your current price, and don't hesitate to tell them that if they balk about shipping.