How long do you whip your shea

valleygrls98

I was wondering how long everyone whips their shea butter? I have a large capacity Kitchen aid mixer and it only seems to take about 20mins. I am wondering if I kept going if it would get any lighter? I have seen websites that sell whipped shea that say they are whipped for up to two hours !!

LOL, Beth!!!

Actually, I found that with my whipped butter, if I passed a certain point, it turned into clumpy butter. Not pretty. Have you ever overwhipped heavy cream to make whipped cream? It actually reaches a point where you literally are churning it into butter if you keep at it too long - my shea did the same thing. Ew. The good news is that you can't hurt it, if you overwhip, you can just remelt and start over.

Oh what I wouldn't give to have a big kitchenaid mixer. ***sigh*** LOL

Yep, like Danielle said, you CAN whip it too much, and it'll get all chunky. I've done this, and then just remelted it and started over. ;)

I DO whip the heck out of it though, since I'm only using a hand mixer, it takes quite a long time if I've started with melted butter/oils.

Now, if I don't melt the butters/oils, then it takes about half the time, but I've noticed with that batch that I didn't melt, that I can see tiny clumps of shea butter in the finished product that didn't get mixed all the way, and I whipped the heck out of it. ???

I've also decided I like using the ice bath for making this instead of putting it in the frig or freezer on and off, I have more control over it. Since I'll usually forget about it if I do stick it in the freezer/frig, since I'm always trying to multi-task :rolleyes:

I think everyone will give you different times, etc. but in the end I guess it's just up to you to get that consistency that you like.

I used an Icewater bath too, kinda my mixer has a bowl lift so I slipped a pan under the bowl amd filled it with Icewater. I have made two batches one came out a really good and fluffy for that one i just used shea oil and shea butter. I made a second one using ako and cornstarch also and that one came out a lot harder. I found for both of them that they really didn't increase in volume. Do you guys see an increase in volume ? I think thats what made me think I didn't whip it enough.