Ahhhhhhhhh!!

jdscreations

I am so confused. I have been reading and reading and reading. I want to try and make soap. (CP) I found a beginners recipe:

16oz Coconut Oil

16oz Palm Oil

13.5oz Olive Oil

6.48oz Lye

14oz Water

Okay, does this recipe look okay?? Also I have ordered a soap mold off of ebay (I don't have the mold yet) and the information that I have about the measurements of the mold are: make 15 bars 3/4" thick, 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" bars. SOOOO, will this recipe fit into this mold? Is this recipe okay? Please forgive me for my stupidity, but I really want to get this right and for the life of me can not figure out how to use the calculators. I am going to go back and reread the Soapmaking tutorials AGAIN!! But I am just so confused. TIA. Sorry so long and for rambling. :sad2:

Does the ebay site say how many pounds it will hold? When I figure it, it comes out to a 2 pound mold. Your recipe is for almost 4 pounds with the water. I'd say that recipe is either too big or the mold is too small. Also, it has over 33% coconut which may be too drying. I didn't run it thru a soap calc so don't know if the lye is right or not.

Mold volume is L x W x H x .4

Thanks Carrie to replying. Yeah, I thought the same thing. I came up with a little over 4lbs for the recipe, but I wasn't sure about the mold. Can you tell I wasn't very good at math in school. My husband finally got home last night and told me the mold was only 2 lbs. :rolleyes2 Can you tell me which Calc you prefer. I ran it through 3 different calcs and got back 3 different lye %?? Doesn't that seem weird?

No it's not really that wierd. Each oil we use has a range for SAP values. Each calc is using a number in that range, not necessarily the same number.

I use 2 different soap calcs.

I use the one from MMS when I have a recipe with ounces. http://thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php

When I only have a recipe with percentages I use the soapcalc. http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/SoapCalc.asp

I also like that you can save the soapcalc on your computer to use offline. Click on file, save as, and then I saved it on my desktop so I can always find it.