Glass Adhesion

Hi Everyone,

We are new at candle making, but are having a terrible time with adhesion to the glass. We are using a 7oz frosted glass tumbler from The Jar Store. We have used paraffin waxes IGI 6006, IGI 4630, IGI 4786, also soy waxes Ecosoya Advanced and CB 135 and all are having this problem. We have even combined some to see if a mixture would improve the adhesion to no avail.

We have heated the containers at different temperatures, (from 110 to 145) heated the wax to approximately 175 and poured at 130 to 165. The finished candles have cooled in a styrofoam cooler to slow the cooling process. The next day, candles seem to be fine but after two or three days, they pull away from the container.

We have reheated some in the oven with mixed results, but would like to have good results the first time.

We live in Florida and are having an unusually cold winter, but I would hope that is not the problem. Any advice you can give would be most helpful. Thank you.

I have yet to use a container wax that has not pulled away at one time or another from the glass. Be sure to clean your glass containers in Dawn dishwashing liquid. To get rid of any residue left behind from washing with Dawn I wipe the inside of the glass with white vinegar and wait about 5 minutes before a hot water rinse. I then either air dry or use a heat gun to spead up the drying. I also use a heat gun to heat the container just before pouring.

Adhesion varies among the pre-blends on the market. You might like to use the ones that adhere better, but you can't expect perfection. Most will separate to some extent eventually.

However, since all those waxes are performing badly under all circumstances, I suspect you have an issue with your glassware. If my previous experience is still valid, frosted tumblers from Jar Store could be Chinese imports that are frosted both inside and out. Fancier tumblers are only frosted on the outside and smooth on the inside.

If I'm correct about your tumblers, try pouring into similar size drinking glasses and compare. You might find it's much better.

Try 85 % 6006 and 15% soy. Heat to about 190 and pour at 180 into room temp jars and leave out on the counter to cool. You should get great adhesion. However, you will begin to see loss of adhesion after burning. Adding a little coconut or palm oil helps with that problem (about 1 tsp). HTH.

Steve

Update:

Thank you everybody for your input. We have made a couple of batches now and so far good adhesion!!!! We washed the tumblers and wiped with the vinegar. We also heated and poured the wax at the higher temperature. We have used a couple of different blends and they have turned out good. Thank you very much.