What Kind of Soap is This?

candlemama

When searching through the forums today, I came across this link to a company that makes and sells some really pretty soaps and B&B products. First glance, I say the soap is essentially M&P, but they say it is 100% handmade from olive oil. So then I'm thinking it's like castille soap made by CP, but it sure doesn't look like CP. I guess it's possible if you are a big company with lots of money to make your own M&P type base...

Aren't most M&P bases mostly made up of glycerin, not olive oil? Also, why would the company advertise that they DON'T use "organic fats"? Is that code for animal fats? Wouldn't organic olive oil be an "organic fat"?

What do you think??? :confused:

http://www.attirance.com/en/natural-cosmetics/natural-soap/

They look like they are M&P to me too. At first it says that it has olive oil in it then it says its main ingredient is olive oil. It does not say it is 100% olive oil so its not a castile soap. My guess is its M&P with olive oil added. No big deal. But the soaps sure are pretty!

those soaps are pretty. They look like melt and pour to me.

As to your question about fat. I'm assuming they mean animal fat. For me, when I hear fat, I think animal fat. They list the ingrediants they use on a different tab and it was all oils (if I'm remembering correctly. Takes me a while to answer questions when my boys are awake)

Those are DEFINITELY MP soaps!

They are still handmade!

Not sure what to say on the Olive oil thing.. I don't see how they can be made of mostly olive oil, but maybe they use an olive oil base and just choose to market it like that.. or perhaps they add a lot of olive oil to their bases.. either way it's MP soap, I'd bet the farm on it.

Those are DEFINITELY MP soaps!

They are still handmade!

I think these soaps are handmade by many hands because the company looks like it's pretty big. They have franchise stores you can open and manage (if you're in Europe). That's why I was thinking maybe they produce their own OO M&P-type base for making those soaps, or maybe they buy from a supplier like we do, who knows. I was just confused by their claim it's 100% OO and didn't know if that was possible in a M&P type soap.

I was hoping the consensus is they are M&P soaps because I'm going to do my best to copy some of those designs! Regardless, even though I'm new at all this, I'm pretty sure those designs can be reproduced in a M&P soap. At least I'm gonna try!

Aren't most M&P bases mostly made up of glycerin, not olive oil?

MP bases are made of either detergents or soaps (or a combination). Soap can be made from any oil.

Despite what some believe, glycerin soap is not made from just glycerin.

I think this is a twist on truth in advertising. To say that M&P is "100% handmade" is quite a stretch. Sure, they must have hand carried the block of m&p base, hand chopped off chunks, hand carried it to the microwave, hand poured it, hand taken it out of the mold.............

That kind of stuff I don't like - the stretching of the truth to fool people who don't have a clue.

It looks like MP to me but it could very well be transparent handmade soap. Olive oil is one the oils recommended to get a clear result. If your curious I found this tutorial that explains the procedure. http://crafty.dyskolus.com/cosmetics/clear1__cosmetics.html

I haven't ever tried to make it myself and considering all the other things I want to try it's pretty low on my list.

This is what bothers me about their website....

2. Olive oil perfectly protects from sun burns.

#1... isnt that a medical claim? and #2. Bullsh!t is an olive oil soap, of ANY kind, going to protect you from sun burns. I know they say "Olive Oil" but thats very deceptive, IMO.

It looks like MP to me but it could very well be transparent handmade soap. Olive oil is one the oils recommended to get a clear result. If your curious I found this tutorial that explains the procedure. http://crafty.dyskolus.com/cosmetics/clear1__cosmetics.html

I haven't ever tried to make it myself and considering all the other things I want to try it's pretty low on my list.

LOL me too.. I always look at the process and go "hmmm... maybe some other time".