Should I have double wicked?

First time uploading pics, hope you can see my dilemma. The container I used is an 8oz. tureen (Lone Star candles). The opening is 3.5", and the widest part is the base at 3.75".

Wax used: 50/50 of 4627 and 4641. Used 1oz. Fairy Garden from Moonworks. The wick is an ECO 8.

It smells good (my first candle that actually has a good HT), but the flame is too big and dances a lot, and there is wax around the edges. Though it looks like a mushroom, I've seen very, very little soot. Should I have used a smaller ECO or should I have used a different wick altogether? :confused: TIA

post-11226-139458469979_thumb.jpg

post-11226-139458469983_thumb.jpg

post-11226-139458469987_thumb.jpg

post-11226-139458469991_thumb.jpg

How long have you been burning your tester? You don't always get a full melt pool on the first burn or even the first few burns.The melt pool looks fine from the pic. You should continue testing to the end of the candle. You may see that the sides catch up.

Personally I would only use tureen style jars for wickless candles. They are perfect for that.

Thank you, candybee

I took the pics on its second burn. Why would you use tureen for wickless only? Are they a PITA to wick? I have quite a few... :sad2:

What if I used the same wax/wick/FO combination for an 8oz. tin?

Thank you, Steve. I will try 2 zinc wicks (the 44-24-18), and pour another and use one LX 22 or one LX 26. Hope I'll get the same throw but not such a huge flame and, with any luck, no hang-up!