Pko & co

candlemama

I've been reading on the forums about PKO and CO and understand that they are the same class of soaping oils and can be substituted for one another while still providing similar qualities to the finished soap. I've also seen a few recipes using both PKO and CO, as high as 50% combined (such as in Darwin's recipe).

Is combining the two in a higher overall percentage a way to increase the bubbles without increasing the drying factor? I've been reading that, in general, higher than 30% CO can be drying for some people, although it depends on the recipe and personal preference. Is PKO in general a little less drying than CO, so a higher percentage can be used without causing dryness?

Just wondering (for my future recipes).

Thanks!

Resembling coconut oil, palm kernel oil is packed with myristic and lauric fatty acids and therefore suitable for the manufacture of soaps, washing powders and personal care products. Lauric acid is very important in soap making. A good soap must contain at least 15 per cent laurate for quick lathering while soap made for use in sea water is based on virtually 100 per cent laurate. The pko has a lower INS than coconut which might lead you to believe that it is not quite as harsh. It makes for a white, hard bar that lathers easily.