~Frustration!!

Hi Everyone! I'm new to soy candle making, I started 2 months ago. I don't understand how there is not a specific formula to follow to do this!! I've been making candles and testing them over and over and honestly i'm getting tired of it and if I didn't spend money on the supplies I have I would give up but I owe it to myself to try my hardest to make this work since I want this to be another source of income. Votives have been difficult for me...I now am using Ecosoya PB wax and have wick pins but I still get some "Guttering" I guess they call it. When I say "Guttering" I mean that it looks like a gutter runs off the top/side part of the votive even when burned in a snug votive holder. The guttering does seem to go away the longer I burn it but I plan on selling my candles so I don't want that to happen. I have tried the following wicks....44-24-18 burned very fast. HTP 41 did the worst and was junk after 45 min of burning. Eco 4 was ok but I did have guttering and like i said it did straighten out after burning a while.

Today my new wicks arrived...HTP 73...HTP 62... LX-16...LX 18...LX 14...I will be testing these soon.

Suggestions anyone??? I would very much appreciate it!!

Most crafters sell what they make because if gives them an excuse to make more. Because the joy comes from the making, formulating, experimenting. A lot of people see the popularity of candles or bath and body crafting and see nothing but dollar signs. They don't realize the years most of us put into making a quality consistent product. The testing process costs a lot in wax, wicks, fragrance oils (because different ones behave differently) etc. In the beginning of selling you're just going to be recouping your costs, not making a lot of profit.

I'm not saying this is you, but like Delphic said, if you don't love the experimentation now, you're really going to hate it when you HAVE to do it. :smiley2:

Here's the link to the manufacturer's instructions which include the wick recommendation for votives along with the cooling recommendations. Hope it helps!!! :smiley2:

http://www.ngiwax.com/products/usingecosoya/pbinstructions.html

Their instructions for the votives looks like they recommend 2 pours for votives.

"Making Votives with PB: The first pour is done at 155°F (68.3°C) by filling the mold within 1/8 inch (0.3 cm) from the top. Allow the votive to cool until it is still warm with a congealed center that has no liquid. If the top of the candle has "skinned" over, poke two holes near the wick. Pour a second time at 140°F (60.0°C) to completely fill the votive mold.

Pour temperatures should be checked and confirmed according to seasonal changes."

Hopefully those who have successfully done votives as a one-pour will chime in!

Edited by Judy, USMC

You know you picked about the hardest wax for a beginner to work with. Soy can be very frustrating!! But don't take it so hard. It takes time to get it right and when you do you know you have accomplished something special. I love ecosoya PB votives because the wax has a great scent throw both hot and cold.

I never did many votives with it so sorry I can't help you there. I just don't want you to get discouraged and give up if its something you really want to try.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy making candles and will love it even more if I have success! Going into this I had no idea how scientific it was so of course i'm disappointed after 2 months of doing this. I thought I could look up directions online and go ahead and make them but it turns out that even when I follow instructions they still fail. I have been using Candlescience.com as a supplier. Does anyone else use them? So far I have been happy with their servce/prices.

They are a great supplier. I am so satisfied with their FO's and while the shipping prices are high for me for wax and such, they have great prices.

Honestly, it takes time. It just does. Thats why we all collectively scoff when Martha Stewart does a segment on how "easy" candle making is... or the today show suggests people buy teacups, glue in a wick, and pour in some wax. :rolleyes2Like its just that easy, lol! We know better... now you do too!! the turning point is this moment right now where you either pitch all the wax in the trash and cry for a week or... ask questions! You are SOOO on the right track.. its hard but you'll find your perfect wick, wax, and container. Then... the FO testing starts:laugh2:

I only have two containers/wick/wax/and about 50 FO's I 100% love and trust after years of this... so dont think you are bad at it or doing anything wrong, you are just working through the motions. You'll get it momma.

I have some ecosoya pb haven't tried it yet though, to busy with testing the wicks for GG, and doing soy containers, I make my votives with palm. After reading alot on this board I think maybe you should get the CD wicks sample packs 5-7. What is guttering :confused:

But did it have a good cold and hot throw? A votive is not like a pillar. It will eventually melt through the wall and some of the wax will seep down between the holder and the votive. If the wick didn't gutter or sputter or dance or dim or go out or suddenly shoot up like a flame thrower and the candle fragranced a reasonable area of the test site..........then guess what? you made a good candle? HTH.

Steve

There are no *rules* for soy! LOL Everything, right down to the current weather, will alter your results. You have to take what you read as a jumping point & get in touch w/ your inner chemist to tame the beast. Good for you that you don't just throw it together & sell it to anyone who will buy!! It's hard work, but very rewarding when you can make a 'simple' candle. After 6 yrs of selling, I hated pouring for profit, cause it was more work than fun. I put everything away for over a yr & didn't even read this board. I slowly pulled everything back out & enjoy testing when I have time. I want to sell again, but not ready yet. Don't be too hard on yourself & enjoy the battle. Lots of great info here -- good luck!

Susan.