CD Wandering

I use an 18 in my current line of jars. The wicks are centered but about half way through the candle I notice that the wick wilts and begins to burn off center. Trimming doesn't seem to make any difference and different sources offer the same result. Does anyone use a cd 18 or thereabouts that stays rigid and doesn't wander? Could you strengthen the wick with something that wouldn't cause sooting or effect the burn?

Thanks,

Steve

I use an 18 in my current line of jars. The wicks are centered but about half way through the candle I notice that the wick wilts and begins to burn off center. Trimming doesn't seem to make any difference and different sources offer the same result. Does anyone use a cd 18 or thereabouts that stays rigid and doesn't wander? Could you strengthen the wick with something that wouldn't cause sooting or effect the burn?

Thanks,

Steve

It could be too hot of a melt pool. Also I have started getting the high melt wax coating on my wicks.

Thanks for the response Sharon. I like the cdn wicks but can't find them in the 18 size. The mp is just about right for the jar and the flame heighth is good too; so I hate to mess with it. Maybe I can locate some better quality wicks.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Carole. These are straight sided salsa jars with the 12 0z being 3.19 tall by 3.38 wide and the 16 oz salsa being 4 1/4 by 3 1/4. I use the Clarus 70/30 which isn't good for a zinc. I had been getting the cdn wicks but they seem to be out of stock for the 18 size. If this were a smaller cd then it would be a much thicker wick but these wicks are really skinny and barely waxed. Thanks for any help.

Steve

Chuck, I always give my wick a couple of twist, 3 to 4 and haven't had that problem. Plus they have the high melt point wax coating. Try coating with a harder wax and or twisting. Just do one and see if it makes any difference. I really don't know if it will, since I have done this for years. I do think CD and CDN's burn a little different, maybe the CD is burning hotter.