Are "sinus relief" or similar candles really helpful for sinuses?

I have some "sinus relief" FO, and I'm a bit stuffy lately from seasonal allergies, so I thought about making it into a candle. But are these FOs really intended to give any help for sinuses or is that just a name for the menthol like, eucalyptus or whatever scent?

EO's work. Eucalyptus, peppermint, clary sage. But I found that I need to use the real EO and not the fake FO.

Also, I found that soy kills it. Palm and paraffin just ends in a foamy disaster, so when I want to make an aromatherapy candle, it is pretty much all palm with the EO's and no FO's.

I don't see where the sinus relief candles have worked for me unless my head is right over the pot making them. HOWEVER, I do sell a bunch of them--the customers like them. BUT I have found that when I sell them on aroma beads, I sell A BUNCH MORE. I have found for me the beads are much more effective than the candle/melt/wickless. JMHO :)

If you melt some menthol crystals and add it to any wax with EO's or FO's for sinus relief you get a great candle.

I've made myself sinus relief candles by adding menthol crystals and a tbs. of Vick's to the melted wax. :cool2:

Would you mind sharing how much of each you used pp of wax? TIA

Where do you buy the menthol crystals? Never seen them but might pick up for the winter season. I love the cool smell of mint. Have not found a good throwing peppermint for soy tarts.

I got mine at Texas Natural Supplies I think it's called. It is kind of pricey but a little goes a long way. I use it in my sore muscles sticks and massage oil. WSP has them but they IMO are high but it they ship for free it would equal out to about the same I think. I could use some more if anyone would be interested in splitting some.

WSP is $7.25 for 0.18 lb not sure how much that is lol & $24.75 pp.

Texas Natural is $6.39 for 2 ounces but they have a minimum order I think plus the shipping.

I have I think a 2 ounce bag my Secret Santa got me last year. I have used very little out of it as I said a little goes a very long way.

HTH

Edited by ladysj

I got mine at Texas Natural Supplies I think it's called. It is kind of pricey but a little goes a long way. I use it in my sore muscles sticks and massage oil. WSP has them but they IMO are high but it they ship for free it would equal out to about the same I think. I could use some more if anyone would be interested in splitting some.

WSP is $7.25 for 0.18 lb not sure how much that is lol & $24.75 pp.

Texas Natural is $6.39 for 2 ounces but they have a minimum order I think plus the shipping.

I have I think a 2 ounce bag my Secret Santa got me last year. I have used very little out of it as I said a little goes a very long way.

HTH

I order from both so I'll keep them in mind. Thanks

Might wanna try making tarts for this purpose... Inflamed sinuses are often sensitive to the carbon particles, etc. emitted by burning anything. I agree wholeheartedly about using EOs vs FOs for this purpose. The nice thing about making tarts is that one can amp up the amount of EO without worrying that it'll clog the wick! ;)

I always made mine wickless so that I could make them stronger they worked great. I never added menthol crystals though I just used the Vicks & Eucalyptus FO. It's getting that time of the year again so time to start cranking them out again. :laugh2: