"Stop It"!!!!

chuck_35550

Just a word to fragrance oil formulators. I have come across several fragrances that appear to have a cloudy appearance when poured and then clog up the wick when they burn or the stuff sinks to the bottom or floats to the top. I don't know what you're using but it sure don't work so hot. So, "Stop It"!! Thanks for listening.

Steve

Do most of the FOs your having problems with have vanilla? I saw this in my Cashmere Scarf. Like Kitn, I set the bottle in a bowl of warm water and shook the dickens out of it. I transfer all my oils to glass bottles - that's the only way I noticed it to begin with.

When I see oil on the bottom 2 things come to mind - either I put in too much FO or the wax isn't hot enough.

Never had oil floating on the top! But I have heard that some oils made for B&B sometimes won't incorporate well. Heard some are water-based????

Don't know if any of these apply to your case but maybe worth considering.

Edited by Judy, USMC

Just a word to fragrance oil formulators. I have come across several fragrances that appear to have a cloudy appearance when poured and then clog up the wick when they burn or the stuff sinks to the bottom or floats to the top. I don't know what you're using but it sure don't work so hot. So, "Stop It"!! Thanks for listening.

Steve

Is this a relatively recent thing? I'm wondering if it isn't the result of (unnecessarily) eliminating the phthalates from the formulation.

(not talking about vanilla here, which can crystallize out at cooler temps)

Edited by CareBear

Chuck, Im hearing you! I used to make beautifully burning container candles using CS Dragons Blood. Suddenly they burnt terribly, almost drowning out, as if the wick was clogging. I then noticed that the bottle of oil had a dark coloured 'sediment' in the bottom. It was extremely noticable if I 'swirled' the oil around in the bottle. If I shook the bottle, the whole contents turned very cloudy. I gave the bottles to my daughter to take to her science lab to filter the oil through extremely fine filters. The oil was a little less 'sedimenty' but still cloudy and I havent been game to make any more candles with it. I rang my supplier about the problem {even sent him a partly burned candle to test for himself} but he didnt have any answers, just maintained that the oil was the same as they had always sold!

Its extremely disappointing and I just use the oil to make tarts now. Each bottle of FO I receive, regardless of the fragrance, I now check for sediment.

Chuck, I wrote a similar post last year. Yes, some suppliers add fillers (?) to their fragrance oils. They think we are so stupid we will not notice. I have had several candles totally separate out. You can never get the supplier to admit it. So just don't buy from them! That is a "no-no" in my book. Carole

The fo was Tahitian Vanilla Spice that clouded the wax (temp at 190) and it is a great fragrance but it just clogs up the wick and drowns. The one that separated was Muscadine Vineyard. It has some kind of funky orange slick that collects on the bottom and seeps on the top. I shake it up a lot and pour it real hot and that seems to help. I love the fragrance but it scares me to think that someone might get a candle bomb or something. I know the diff between crystalized or settled but really; should there be sediment in your fo? Maybe quality control was on vacation the day those fos are bottled. I'm with you Carol.

Chuck, Im hearing you! I used to make beautifully burning container candles using CS Dragons Blood. Suddenly they burnt terribly, almost drowning out, as if the wick was clogging. I then noticed that the bottle of oil had a dark coloured 'sediment' in the bottom. It was extremely noticable if I 'swirled' the oil around in the bottle. If I shook the bottle, the whole contents turned very cloudy. I gave the bottles to my daughter to take to her science lab to filter the oil through extremely fine filters. The oil was a little less 'sedimenty' but still cloudy and I havent been game to make any more candles with it. I rang my supplier about the problem {even sent him a partly burned candle to test for himself} but he didnt have any answers, just maintained that the oil was the same as they had always sold!

Its extremely disappointing and I just use the oil to make tarts now. Each bottle of FO I receive, regardless of the fragrance, I now check for sediment.

This surprises me because I love CS oils. They only put Dragon's Blood on the market earlier this year, I think.

Is this a relatively recent thing? I'm wondering if it isn't the result of (unnecessarily) eliminating the phthalates from the formulation.

That was possibly the worst and most ridiculous thing to happen to fo in the near 20 years I've been fooling around with fo. Totally bogus. I try to stay away from that crap! Suppliers who advertise it don't get my business. It's just more baloney and I can't handle much more regulatory baloney.

That was possibly the worst and most ridiculous thing to happen to fo in the near 20 years I've been fooling around with fo. Totally bogus. I try to stay away from that crap! Suppliers who advertise it don't get my business. It's just more baloney and I can't handle much more regulatory baloney.

Amen to that!!!